Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Managing Disk Space

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

This should be a fairly easy question for you guys after reading some of the complex solutions you provide in other posts!!!

I have a 10 year old laptop, Sony Viao. It, alas, only has 40 GB hard disk, partitioned 20 GB each on C: and D: respectively. I actually only get about 18.6 GB of use on each.

I am on XP SP3.

My D: drive has 15.3 GB free space. My C: drive has 1.3 GB of free space, and I've got the yellow icon in the system tray as Windows wants to do updates. I've been through them, there are 14 updates of various sizes, the largest Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 (241 MB).

I am very aware that I will be left with very little space if I perform this update. So I've left it sitting there in the system tray for a few weeks now. I know that I need a certain amount of free space for RAM.

What should I do?

C/Windows is 10 GB on its own!!! Half of my C: drive!!!!

C/Documents and Settings is 1.9 GB, would it be safe to move that to D:?

A friend has recommended hard disk partition management from Paragon Software, they offer a 30 day free trial. He says it would allow me to designate my C: and D: to be 30GB and 10GB respectively, thus solving my problem.

I've also seen loads of old Java updates, and Adobe updates from old versions in my Add/Remove programs. I wonder if I can delete the old versions and just leave the latest update? Some of these are huge!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by mrblue, 30 January 2010 - 03:32 AM.

Advertisements

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
After reading some related posts I've just done a Disk Cleanup, and chosen the option to remove all but the last restore point. I now have 2.08 GB free (11%).

I have tried to attach a screenshot of Disk Management, as an MS Paint file, and it doesn't work. I get an error message "no file selected" after a few minutes of it attempting to upload it.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I use ccleaner to deal about disk cleaning.
its doing it purpose effectively.

its free :)

I've been using ccleaner for years, and run it every 7 days.

I need to know how to either re-partition my hard drive without losing data, or a neat way to reclaim disk space on my C: drive, or what I can legitimately move to my D: drive safely.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi mrblue

We seem to be seeing alot of issues lately with running out of disk space.
Javara will remove old java installs. I believe the latest is Java 6 update 18.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature (or link below) to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
* Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
* Accept any prompts.
* Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
* Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...mp;words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

If you are using CCleaner, DO NOT USE THE REGISTRY PART. Any registry cleaner will do more harm than good.

For partitioning the hard drive, there are many out there. I prefer Easeus Partition Master because it works great and is free.
Before re-partitioning you should get it as clean as possible.
Run the programs below before partitioning.

As always you should backup any data prior to use. You should be backing up anyways.

Then clean out the temp files and cache.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
[/list]If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Now lets defrag the drive.
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

123runner

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi mrblue

We seem to be seeing alot of issues lately with running out of disk space.
Javara will remove old java installs. I believe the latest is Java 6 update 18.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature (or link below) to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
* Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
* Accept any prompts.
* Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
* Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...mp;words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

If you are using CCleaner, DO NOT USE THE REGISTRY PART. Any registry cleaner will do more harm than good.

For partitioning the hard drive, there are many out there. I prefer Easeus Partition Master because it works great and is free.
Before re-partitioning you should get it as clean as possible.
Run the programs below before partitioning.

As always you should backup any data prior to use. You should be backing up anyways.

Then clean out the temp files and cache.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
[/list]If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Now lets defrag the drive.
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

123runner

Thanks for all of this info 123runner. It was extremely helpful.

I did a Java update last week to the one you mentioned. Javara ran successfully and regained me some space. I then ran one of my Java applications and it still worked fine.

Interesting what you say about Registry Cleaners doing more harm than good; I actually use another one that seems to go even deeper than ccleaner, Regseeker 1.5. I've been using it weekly for over a year, and it always seems to speed up my system and it runs smoothly and quietly afterwards. However, I shall take on board your advice and stop using them. I used ATF Cleaner before but it didn't seem as effective as the others, but I shall give it another go!!

With regards to Defragging, I've been using JKDefrag, and lately MyDefrag which is the latest version, for a few years happily. However, I will now use the one you suggest, and I will uninstall JKDefrag and MyDefrag. Shame, because JKDefrag has a nice little utility to OPTIMISE the registry.

My laptop, although very, very old, and with a paltry 40GB hard drive, still runs quietly, smoothly and very fast. I just am very anal about what I download, what web pages I visit, and what I click on. All I have is a decent firewall, no virus or spyware software at all. I do the odd scan when I remember, but it never finds anything. I love XP and will defer Vista and Windows 7 as long as possible!!

I now have 2.17GB free, so I think I may try my MS updates and see how much space I have left.

I shall assume that you DO NOT advise me to move any files over to D:, as you haven't mentioned it. I shall assume that the best course of action is to back up my files and re-partition the hard drive. I think c: 30 GB, d: 10 GB is sensible.

Thanks again for you help

Kind regards.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please do not re-quote the entire post. It makes it difficult to read and is not necessary.

You can continue to use "Mydefrag" if you wish. That is your choice. I liked it when it was "JKdefrag" but I do not like it now (a personal thing).

You can move data to D drive if you wish. You can not move programs.

All I have is a decent firewall, no virus or spyware software at all.

This is bad! We recommend Avast or Avira. Each are light on resources and both do a great job. Also MBAM (malware bytes antimalware).

As for registry cleaners, you are 1 of the lucky ones.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

123runner

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

:) Sorry but that's not true! While dinking with the registry always has the potential to do more harm than good, a blanket statement saying they will do more harm is not a fair, or true statement. The judicial use of a good registry cleaner, and the one in CCleaner is one of the best (because it is NOT overly aggressive), can offer some, albeit minimal, benefits.

What is blatantly false is the outlandish claims registry cleaner makers make about the drastic performance gains you will see by using their product. Those are typically highly exaggerated marketing fluff. There are some benefits, but they typically do not result in dramatically improved performance.

And dinking with the registry DOES come with immediate significant risks, even in experienced hands. And so changes to the registry should never be done without backing up the registry first. Fortunately, CCleaner prompts for that before making changes, and the use of ERUNT is recommended.

The facts are, most cleaners are safe and millions and millions of users use them with no problems - being lucky has little to do with it (I could not say that 5 years ago!). The problem is, if you are one of the unlucky ones, the damage could be, and likely will be catastrophic, and irreversible!

So in 123Runner's defense, it is because the risks are significant (dead computer!) and the benefits minimal that Geeks to Go does not recommend the use of registry cleaners, and so his warning to avoid using them was just.

Generally, if you have been using a registry cleaner regularly, it is not likely it will cause damage by running it (the same cleaner) again. Most of the damage comes when a new cleaner is run the first time on a machine that has gone through many changes. But again, "not likely" is not the same as "never will". The risk is still there - with minimal benefits.

My take on registry cleaners is if you do not frequently install and uninstall major applications (large office or full security suites), and you don't regularly add, swap and remove various hardware devices and drivers, you don't need a registry cleaner.

I do agree with the use of Partition Master. I have used it several times on several machines without incident. However, dinking with partitions can be risky too - probably one of the worst times for a power outage. So make sure you backup your data first. And I note the free version of Partition Master only works with 32-bit operating systems.

I shall assume that you DO NOT advise me to move any files over to D

I would not recommend simply moving files because that move does not get entered in the registry - so Windows might not find it after the move. However, you can move your My Documents folder over, and all your temporary files over, AND tell Windows where the new location is. For My Documents, look under the Location tab under properties. For temporary files, in IE > Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing History > Settings, you can select Move folder.