Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slow to boot, other problems

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just to note here, yesterday my desktop would show no icons nor taskbar on boot, but would be ok in system mode. A mate suggested I run in diagnostic mode, then in msconfig turn off ALL startup items and ALL non-Microsoft services. This fixed the boot problems so now I'm doing the somewhat lengthy task (when I can find time!) of googling each entry and putting a check back into the box of each one I need, and periodically rebooting to crosscheck any errors. So far so good, still a long way to go...

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

googling each entry and putting a check back into the box of each one I need, and periodically rebooting to crosscheck any errors.

you need to reboot and run the system after putting a check back in each one...do this until the problem service/device/program is identified

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Well I've turned all services back on, and it boots up fine. I've also got roughly the same startup items going and still fine. I uninstalled then reinstalled iTunes - with the miniplayer showing up in taskbar on boot, even in safe mode, would it be a fair assumption this was the culprit? It had also come up with a screen a day or so after this issue began saying iTunes was corrupted and should be reinstalled, but I was having problems with drivers at the time and put it off and forgot about it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I uninstalled then reinstalled iTunes - with the miniplayer showing up in taskbar on boot, even in safe mode, would it be a fair assumption this was the culprit?

yep...

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Awesome. Thanks for your help :)

As a side note I've found the exact same errors using Chrome at home are occuring on the work computer, so I think it's a problem with the browser and not the system it's on. So now I'm giving Safari a test, been having a few errors loading pages but I'm searching for answers once again... I think this time I won't try playing around with things I don't quite understand.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)