Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crash

• Please log in to reply

dadmansfield

dadmansfield

• Pip
  • 3 posts
computer crashed, and I tried all the rescue stuff, and finally said the heck with it and just wanted a clean hard drive, to use as a slave or put some version of linux into. I used my self made startup disc, and it got to installing software, and froze...picture was there with a frozen cursor. I have an installaton cd for win xp with sp3 service pack issued with another computer and tried to use that, but i locked up with <windows root>system32\hal.dll. Tried to research that through windows, but the obscure answers were not helpful. Linux puppy will load on ram, but will not recognize any internet connections. I hate to just dump the hard drive (wd2000bb) but it is useless this way. I wouldn't care at this point if I could run a magnet over it if i thought it would help.
I have also ordered a couple of hard drives from newegg...and i got a msg saying they were shipped but that they are bare and have no software. I was planning on putting one of them into the broken gateway, booting up from the the windows cd from another computer and then putting in the windows codes from the original install...Im starting to wonder if any of this will work.
I like to tinker with these things, sure wish I knew what I was doing.. thanks, ed mansfield

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Western digital diagnostic tool from here. Download "Data Lifeguard Tools 11.0 for DOS (05.15.2006)", follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot with the CD. If the program does not recognize the hard disk then it is finished. If it is recognized run a complete test of the hard disk. If it fails, run the option that zeroes all bits on the hard disk. When finished, connect the HD as slave to a working computer, initialize and format it in Control Panel > Administartive tools > Disk Management.

dadmansfield

dadmansfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
will give it a shot, thanks a lot ed mansfield

Blarm

Blarm

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm sure I had the locking up problem with hal.dll on booting up a year or so ago.
It turned out that the memory had a fault.
Would it be worth checking it out with memtest86 using the guide at:
http://www.geekstogo...86-t246994.html