Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Default Thinkpad T500 Stuck on Initial Boot Screen

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 notebook (Model # 2081CTO) that I purchased in mid-October of 2009.

I am running a Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Basically, I installed Avast anti-virus on the computer, and after installation, it asked me to restart, but after restarting, instead of loading the OS, it becomes stuck at the initial black screen before it even loads anything.. all it says is "ThinkPad" ... "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button. And it also has intel/lenovo logos on the right side. It has nothing to do with Avast, because minutes later I installed it on my other desktop computer, and it restarted just fine.

I tried hitting all the F keys and I tried the thinkvantage button, nothing works. I cannot get into the BIOS, nor the rescue or recovery, or anything. I tried putting in a windows 7 OS CD, but that didn't work either. I don't know whats wrong.

Although it seems like it is a a rare problem based on my google searches, if you click this link, you will see that I am not the only with this problem.

Page Not Found - lenovo community [...] 592#M21074

In there, someone suggested some steps to someone else about messing with the CMOS, but it didnt do anything for them. All I have personally done is removed the battery, and have it on AC power, and vice versa, but that does not affect it at all. Still the same problem. I am going to try using PC Doctor and putting that CD in, but I doubt it will help.

I tried calling Lenovo in the middle of the night yesterday and they were not very helpful, they said we will send a box in a few days ... so basically they're going to try and fix it but all my precious data will be erased and it will take weeks before I get my laptop back.. and I need it right now for school!

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried the safe mode?
Tap F8 during startup and try safe mode or last known good configuration.