Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not boot after adding rosewill 2 port pci adapter

• Please log in to reply

inzeo

inzeo

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
added the rosewill rc-201 (found here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816132001 )to my dell xps 630i and I want to only use it for 2 dvd drives (NOT for the hard drives)

Each reboot forces the RAID utility to run before the Vista start up.
it then reads the two drives, gives me the option to go to the RAID set up
if i enter the set up. nothing works because there are no hard drives so I exit and then goes black with a blinking white underscore (_) in the upper left corner of the screen. (same happens if I don't hit F4 to enter set up)

Trouble shooting ideas I tried to :

a. Boot with two DVD drives attached (got black scrren described above)
b. boot with only 1 DVD Drive - tried each drive seperately and in each of the 2 sata connections (got black scrren described above)
c. boot without DVD drives - Booted perfectly and then windows installed correct hardware drivers -i think -it ran the update without a hitch
d. retried a and b now that drivers seemed to be installed and ...(got black scrren described above)
e. tried c again and was able to hotswap each drive and connect/use them after boot with them unconnected
f. switched PCI slots and tried a-e again with the exact same results

I don't know what to look for in the bios screen or how to set the jumpers on the add on card. or if that is even the right idea.

I have a little knowledge, but think i stepped into the deep end here.

any ideas would be appreciated, especially dumbed down ones with simple directions. I will provide any info you need to help the best I can

Thanks!

Advertisements