Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
And I would have known to make this change why?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure i understand the question.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Did you reset the bios so the cdrom was the first boot device?

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the Memtest86 cd in the drive before all this.
The cd will start with no help then

Tapped the delete button and got into the Bios Set Up Utility, but got nothing like you mention here.

My Advanced Tab has the following:

CPU Config
Chipset
Onboard Devices Config
PCIpnP
USB Config

There was a Boot tab but there were no instructions, nada.

Here are pics I took of what I saw.

Boot.jpg
Bios_Set_Up_Utility.jpg

You are assuming that I am super computer literate in these matters and I am not. I would never have known that I needed to change something to do with booting and you never directed me to until after the fact.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry and i don't assume anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To answer your question on your first picture you can see to the right of the highlighted entry where it says to use either the plus or minus keys to change what is in the specified boot sequence. When done make sure you click F10 to save and exit. You will then be asked to verify by clicking the Y key. The system will now boot again with the new settings.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

To answer your question on your first picture you can see to the right of the highlighted entry where it says to use either the plus or minus keys to change what is in the specified boot sequence. When done make sure you click F10 to save and exit. You will then be asked to verify by clicking the Y key. The system will now boot again with the new settings.

But there is nothing there about ordering my hard drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ordering? You have to modify the Boot Sequence so the cdrom drive is in the first space/ Then you go to the second spot and modify it so the hard drive is there.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Ordering? You have to modify the Boot Sequence so the cdrom drive is in the first space/ Then you go to the second spot and modify it so the hard drive is there.

I don't have the option to put the hard drive in the second spot. I can move the 3 things listed there around, period. I can't type something new in there and the hard drive is not among my choices.

I have CD, DVD and floppy as my choices, period.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look getting a attitude is not going to get you help.
I am going to explain this again and hopefully you will understand this.
First pic you have in post 18
You have first boot device highlighted
Look to the right where it says Select Screen or Select Item
Now the little screen that shows the following will come up.
1st Floppy Drive
PM-WDC WD 600BB-75CAA0
SM-Samsung DVD Rom SD616-T

Highlight the Samsung by clicking either the plus or minus keys
Now repeat for the 2nd Boot Device and make it the PM-WDC WD 600BB-75CAA0
When done the boot order should now be
Samsung
WD
Floppy

Click F10 and then Y

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 February 2010 - 12:26 PM.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Sorry that you perceive my frustration as attitude. Trying again now.

Advertisements

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Pass complete, 0 errors.

My computer did not shut down when AVG started its scan this morning, so that is a good thing.

I did have 1 shut down yesterday, but I attribute that to flash as I was playing Bejeweled when it occurred.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok it looks like memory is OK and Chkdsk must have fixed something in its testing. As a suggestion since AVG is the original culprit here you might consider dropping AVG and installing something like Avast or Avira. Both are free alternatives and do just as good if not better at AV protection.
Also AVG is known to be a resource hog and can slow your system down when running the scan and possibly causing the restarts. The two I referenced are a smaller footprint and therefor won't be so resource hogs. Just as a suggestion to help you. Let me know if you wish to do this and I can supply links for the above programs.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Ok it looks like memory is OK and Chkdsk must have fixed something in its testing. As a suggestion since AVG is the original culprit here you might consider dropping AVG and installing something like Avast or Avira. Both are free alternatives and do just as good if not better at AV protection.
Also AVG is known to be a resource hog and can slow your system down when running the scan and possibly causing the restarts. The two I referenced are a smaller footprint and therefor won't be so resource hogs. Just as a suggestion to help you. Let me know if you wish to do this and I can supply links for the above programs.

I just switched back to AVG from Avast as I was running Avast when my computer was infected with the Antivirus Live.

Also I was having the issue before I re-installed AVG about 5 days ago.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then that is not a way to go. Is the system now acting correctly?

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Ok then that is not a way to go. Is the system now acting correctly?

It appears to be, but if you could leave this open for a few days to see if AVG continues to start correctly that would be great.