Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem as we don't close topics in any forum but malware. Please post back and let us know how everything is working in a day or so. If you have further problems then just post and I will receive a email promptly.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 February 2010 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
AVG ran correctly for 2 days, this AM my computer had restarted and in the Scan Results Overview it says,

"The scan log is corrupted (the scan has not finished properly)".

I would switch back to Avast, but since that is what I was running when Antivirus Live attacked my computer there is a trust issue.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

I would switch back to Avast, but since that is what I was running when Antivirus Live attacked my computer there is a trust issue.

Unfortunately there is no program that can guarantee full malware protection. This is the reason we recommend the use of extra tools on a regular basis. As suggested before you can add the free version of Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware to your arsenal. These programs do not update or scan automatically. This has to be done manually.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Unfortunately there is no program that can guarantee full malware protection. This is the reason we recommend the use of extra tools on a regular basis. As suggested before you can add the free version of Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware to your arsenal. These programs do not update or scan automatically. This has to be done manually.

I have both of those programs installed on my computer and use them but the Antivirus Live attacked my computer in the middle of the night and running either of them would not have prevented it from taking over.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There are over 150 new virus's everyday so the possibility of stopping them is null. Most are harmless and just a pain. The AV companies can in no stretch of the imagination stop them but they do a pretty good job but there is always one that is a pain. The only thing you can do is get a good combination of programs and be careful what you download and how you surf the internet.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ok, I got it on the virus programs, but do you have any feedback on what I posted about AVG.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's possible a system update may have done a restart. Unless something like a power problem happened in the middle of the night to glitch it.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well tonight my computer was attacked by another virus, Antivirus Soft this time.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

I have both of those programs installed on my computer and use them but the Antivirus Live attacked my computer in the middle of the night and running either of them would not have prevented it from taking over.

When you install programs there is always a consideration of how they will affect your computer's performance. You can buy the commercial version of any of these programs (Malware bytes or Superantispyware) and will have real time protection which is not available in the free versions. However, in addition to the cost of the programs you can expect a noticeable decrease in your computer's performance. You can install a more powerful firewall then microsoft offer but, again, it will load the computer and make you busy dealing with endless notifications.

At the end of the day it's the way you use the computer that is the most decisive factor as far as mlware is concerened..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Were you downloading something or on a website when the virus hit?

Advertisements

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
No, I was not downloading anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On a website?
Downloaded anything just prior to the infection?
Have you been to the malware forum to have your system checked out?

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I was on facebook and a site called ravelry.com.

The only thing I downloaded yesterday, early afternoon was a zip file from my insurance agent.

I have posted in the Mal-Ware section but can't do anything on that list because the computer says everything is infected and won't open anything. I can't even update Malware Antibytes in safe mode nor did rkill find anything to kill.

I am posting this from my netbook.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Avira rescue disk from here. Follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Boot with the CD and change language to English if you need to (default language is German). Click on Configuration and check the option in which the program try to repair or rename infected file. Run a complete scan. If you can boot the computer move back to the malware forum.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
sounds like you have a rootkit blocking the antimalware apps. I'd suggest telling them you can't do anything.