Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

want to upgarde Ram with no problem

• Please log in to reply

dooms982

dooms982

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok im planing to upgrade my memory soon. I currently have 4 gigs of ram an my MOBO (ASUS P5Q pro) and it can handle 8 gigs an i have a win7 64 bit so it could read the extra 4 gigs. Other then looking at the pin count what else should i also look at? thanks you for posting.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The things you look at on RAM are the speed (mhz), pin count (i.e. 240pin DDR2), cas latency (cl), lower is better, and generally you want the timings to all be equal, i.e. 5-5-5.

You can go to Crucial.com and scan your system to see what is already being used, then just match that same type of memory. You can purchase from places like Newegg, TigerDirect, Microcenter.

If you go to Crucial and tell me what your system already has, then I could make some recommendations for you. Most people would just match exactly what they already have in there.

Hope that helps! :)

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
ok I scaned the motherboard with Crucial.com and these are the stats.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 16384MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 4GB
* Available Memory Slots: 2
* Total Memory Slots: 4
* Dual Channel Support: Yes
* CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
* CPU Family: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
* CPU Speed: 1983 MHz

So I should buy the same kind of ram stick I currently have installed.
So this is telling me I can use the other 2 slots either put 2 or 4 gigs of ram.

is there anything else you would like me to do.

Edited by dooms982, 02 February 2010 - 01:27 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If that's the entire report, that doesn't tell us very much. For some reason, there isn't any specific information about the RAM clock speed. There is another utility I use called System Information Works. You can run that and look on the left side of the screen for the Memory tab. Try posting that information up and see if that helps.

I only see one listing on NewEgg for the Asus PQ5 Pro that handles these memory types:

Memory Standard: DDR2 1300/1200/1066/800/667

But as Ferrari stated, you'll want to match what you already have installed in the system.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

If that's the entire report, that doesn't tell us very much.

Yeah, that's not everything. It should of told you want kind of RAM you have installed, i.e. PC2 6400 (which is 800mhz). Look for numbers like that after the scan, or when you use Spyderturbo007's utility.

So this is telling me I can use the other 2 slots either put 2 or 4 gigs of ram.

Yes, from what you have told me, you have 4gigs installed on two slots with two slots open.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
So it would look like I would need to get the same type of memory sticks I got last time. Is there anything else I should know before adding 2 gigs on slot 3 & 4.

Attached Thumbnails

• raminfo.PNG

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, so you would buy DDR2 PC2 6400 (800mhz) with a Cas Latency of 4, timings of 4-4-4. Here is a 2gb x 2 set from G. Skill... HERE Have these two go into two slots of the same color on your mobo, and your old set go into the other different colored slots on the mobo. You always want to use the matching sets in the matching colored slots on the motherboard.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Yeah, so you would buy DDR2 PC2 6400 (800mhz) with a Cas Latency of 4, timings of 4-4-4. Here is a 2gb x 2 set from G. Skill... HERE Have these two go into two slots of the same color on your mobo, and your old set go into the other different colored slots on the mobo. You always want to use the matching sets in the matching colored slots on the motherboard.

Ok thank you, those are the one I currently have installed, that would be perfect because of the price is still the same so their fine with me.

thanks again, this makes things clearer on this subject.

Thanks again jaydeee, Spyderturbo007 and Ferrari.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
No problem :) Good luck with everything.