Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP reversal

• Please log in to reply

edraz

edraz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Is it posible to reverse an installation of Windows XP? I can't open files which I previously encrypted and later had to do a re-install after a virus. I thought if I went back someone here could help me repair the original problem. Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the only way to access the encrypted files after a reinstall...
You must make a backup copy of your encryption key and related certificate on a floppy disk or other removable media (such as a USB flash drive)...if you did not do this prior to the reinstall the data is lost...
sorry but there is no back door...if there was... there would be no point in encrypting files...

more on encryption here

Edited by happyrock, 02 February 2010 - 08:06 AM.

edraz

edraz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it was not what I hoped to hear. I couldn't create a disk because my version of Windows would not load. I guess I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned and hopefully any one reading this will never encrypt their files with out knowing the consequences. Thanks again for your time. Ed

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...