Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI and Asus Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

PuppetSin

PuppetSin

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey I didn't want to triple post my topic but I have a specific question about 2 motherboards.

-MSI NF980-G65
-Asus Crosshair III 790FX

The question is which one of these would be better to suit a AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition or is better in general?

I know the MSI one does SLI for nvidia Graphics Cards and the Asus does CrossFire with ATI Graphics Cards but I am open to either really.

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just bought the Crosshair and the same processor I'm not much of gamer as the Crosshair is meant for gaming but I have to say WOW what a fast system. It is very easy to setup and my 18 year old son put it all together for me since I have a hard time seeing things anymore.
My vote goes for this setup but i have always like the Asus motherboards and AMD cpu's.

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 January 2010 - 06:40 AM.

PuppetSin

PuppetSin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've always liked Asus and AMD as well my current computer is about 4 years old with a old Athlon 64 3400+ CPU and a Asus Motherboard with a set of Kingston Ram.

I just like how there's more slots with the MSI board but what pulls me in to the Asus one is that it has good overclocking features and all the bells and whistles lol.
The only difference between the two is that Asus costs about 30$+ More but it seems to be worth the premiums.

I was around the time period when ATI card's was pretty bad back in the day but they seem to be doing a lot better nowadays. It would be more worth it if the Crosshair III had a SLI version too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hey you mentioned in one of my posts in the System Builds and Upgrading section that you had the same setup I was going for; Asus Crosshair III Forumula 790FX w/ AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

What Ram are you currently using for your system?

Sorry If I am asking you directly through PM but I was hoping you could help me if these Ram's would work with that setup:

-Mushkin Enhanced Redline Frostbyte 4gb DDR3 1600

-Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 6gb DDR3 1600

I notice that the timings are lower on the Redline's but for 5$ cheaper I could get a extra 2gb on top but for higher CL speeds. What would you recommend/would these work with the Crosshair III?

This is the memory I bought and I bought 2 packages of them for a total of 8 gigs.
http://www.tigerdire...sp?Sku=C13-8220