Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

not recgnizing but half of ram

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
For about a month or so I have been having a problem with long load times (3-4 minutes) on IE8 and Firefox. When I got to looking around I discovered that when I look in "my computer" it reports only 1 GB of RAM (actually 960 MB). There are actually 2GB of matched Corsair XMS2 DDR2 installed. When I look in device manager there are no yellow exclamation marks anywhere.

I have not overclocked the system. The system is an MSI mobo K9NBPM2-FID, Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.61Ghz, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (matched 1GB sticks) running XP Home SP2 fully updated.

How do I go about figuring out what is going on?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Okay, I alternately took out one stick at a time and found that it would run on just one stick but not the other. Then I took the stick it did run on and switched it to the other socket to see if the apparently good stick would run in the socket that the apparently nonfunctional stick was in. The computer did boot up with the 'good stick' in either socket. The 'good stick would also allow me to pull up computer properties and it reported 960 mb. It also started up and shut down programs and the pc appropriately.

I then went back and put the 'bad stick' back into each socket. It did start the pc on socket #1 but it would not start programs as readily and would not let me pull up the properties tab for the pc. It was very very slow shutting down. I then put the 'bad stick' in socket #2 the PC would not boot.

This would appear to mean that I have one bad stick of memory. Is this the most likely situation?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This would appear to mean that I have one bad stick of memory. Is this the most likely situation?

You are correct on that assumption. I would suggest that since it did boot up with the bad stick in the first slot and run memtest on that stick alone. Reply back with your findings. This will verify the findings only but as the instructions stated I believe you have done the best test for it.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Well this is interesting...I moved both sticks of RAM to DIMM 3 & 4. My mobo documentation says that I should always start with DIMM 1 to assure proper bootup. I booted just fine in 3/4 and I was able to get into BIOS and reset to optimized defaults. The only thing that I know is not to my RAM specs is that the voltage is optimized at 1.9v but my RAM (Corsair XMS2 800mHz DDR2 6400C4)is listed to run at 2.1v. The settings: heading on the memtest lists the RAM as 436MHz (DDR872)/CAS:5-5-5-18/ DDR-2 (128 bits)so I have what appears to me to be a discrepancy. But under system properties I do now have ram listed as 1.93 GB. I have no yellow flags in device manager.

I got memtest86 v2.11 running. It has been running for 7.5 hours and has completed Pass #6 and has found NO ERRORS. So, where does this leave me in terms of explaining all this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is all the memory the same type?
I was ready to say a bad memory slot or a bad memory module but your results are not conclusive to say either now.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
yes memory was purchased new as a matched set. I can imagine a defective memory slot but have you ever actually seen it happen?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes in the last 14 years I have seen it a couple of times. Normally caused by a short or a slot burns somehow.
The thing that doesn't make sense is that you tried known good memory module in it and it worked. It could be a faulty slot or just dust built up in it. Could be failing. It is hard to decipher exactly.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
now that you mention it. There was a small pile of dust at the base of the DIMM #1 since it is very close toe the CPU heat sink and fan. I did not see it until I had removed the first stick. I used some air to blow the area clean. Is there a way to clean a slot other than compressed air?