Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleting/formatting a partition

• Please log in to reply

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I got partition Disk 0- C: D: and F:
When im on vista D: becomes C: I got windows 7 and vista installed... I decided I don't want vista anymore so I was trying to format D: partition so that vista would be wiped out but it doesn't let me do it :). Should I just delete everything on D: partition? :)
From ms config Windows 7 is default OS.

Just found out it is a system partition.. is there anyway to remove or move it? and then format it?
It was also active partition so now I made C: partition active.

:)

thank you reload

Edited by reload147, 31 January 2010 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:)

Assuming you have already backed up your personal data in vista...

Boot into windows 7 (since that is the OS you want to keep)

Download Easeus partition manger from my signature... "Don't worry it is free"

Install Easeus to your computer

Start Easeus and locate the partition that Vista is located on right click on it and select format...

In the upper left of your screen there is an Icon with a check-mark. When you are sure you have selected the proper partition to format click this icon.

It will start the format process. And when it is done you will have that partition available as storage.

Then close the program and you should be done...

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
since i had 64-bit I was unable to install home edition so installed professional edition. But when i click on the partition, format button is gray ! :)

Windows 7 C:
Healthy(boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition)

Vista D:
Healthy(system,primary partition)

hope that helps
i'll try to format it through windows 7 dvd :/

Edited by reload147, 31 January 2010 - 12:24 PM.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
PHEWW!!! after formatting it through windows 7 dvd.. bootmgr was missing.. then it recovered win 7 and vista somehow.. seen the logs and it said boot mgr was missing with the windows start up fix. done it now it works!! I guess the vista is from msconfig>boot so i deleted vista through there. Now formatting the D: again so that i can merge the volume :)

Now I cant extend the volume :) :)

Posted Image

Edited by reload147, 31 January 2010 - 02:45 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
You probably can't extend the volume, because it is in between 2 volumes which can't move at the same time... You would have to move each partition towards the unallocated space, one at a time.

This can corrupt data so make sure you have backups... Likely it will work without any problems. But better safe than sorry.

Good luck