Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reboot after running TFC ...Trojan Horse

• Please log in to reply

clydec

clydec

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi.
Got help here before, hoping to again.
I have a Dell Vostro 1000 that got infected yesterday with what appears to be a trojan horse SHeur2.CIWP. I ran AVG scan and this trojan is what was returned.

Beginning with the Malware and Sypware cleaning guide, I downloaded and ran TFC. It did its thing, asked for a reboot. The computer will not reboot. It will start to boot, then give me the logoff tone and sit idle for minutes. I finally got a message box that say winlogon.exe Application Error unknown software exception (0xc0000008) occurred at location 0x7c9666c6.

Hitting cancel to debug the program returned a BSOD fatal error. Same process happens again when trying to boot.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

clydec

clydec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
OK,
Used the XP re-installation disk and repaired OS from that. Computer wouldn't boot after going through all that procedure, so I shut it down and re-started it. It wound up finally booting, even after a winlogin.exe error message appeared.

Downloaded and ran ERUNT. Computer rebooted w/o problem. Downloaded and ran MBAM. Its scan found about 18 items that were removed. Seems to have taken care of the problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed and continue to try and fix a page fault BSOD I get sometimes on start-up.

I'm looking through the OS section to try and find a fix for that.