Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Automatic Log-off

• Please log in to reply

A-Chan

A-Chan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My daughter was playing a PC game last night when it minimized and went to the desktop. (The game should not be the cause, it's one of the free Monopoly game downloads that McDonalds gave out a few years ago). Our background had been changed to an image that said that we'd been infected and we kept getting pop-ups (the regular rectangular system-warning type and the little corner ones) wanting us to install anti-spyware software. I rebooted in safe mode and it said that we had been infected by Worm.Win32.NetSky (a level 5 on a 0-5 scale) and some of our personal information might be stolen, including passwords. I upgraded my Spybot S&D and ran it, then restarted it to run it again. Since then, the screen logs off immediately every time you try to log on, including in Safe Mode. I did a google search and already copied userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe in the System32 folder during Windows Recovery. The problem still persists.

The PC is a Dell, and I do have the Dell Windows XP Home Edition Reinstallation CD.

I'd considered running a repair install, but I'm concerned about data loss (The Microsoft website indicated that we may lose some, but they weren't specific as to what exactly). We have all of our family photos backed up on CD, but there's other documents which I would hate to lose. I am also not the primary user of the PC, so I would prefer not to make that call unless absoluately necessary.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See here: http://thinkinginpix...onlog-off-loop/

A-Chan

A-Chan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Problem resolved.

The computer's primary user got impatient and asked me to do the reinstall. There were 3 files that weren't installed at the time, but I wrote them down. I initially had errors accessing things like internet explorer, but I was able to download SP3 through windows explorer. I put Malwarebyte's, Avast, TFC, and ERUNT and IE8 on a flash drive and installed them that way. I also had to reinstall my video driver but that was simple enough to do through the manufacturer's website.

I performed a repair install as outlined here. The repair install let me log back in and Malwarebyte's removed the spyware that prompted the problem in the first place. I'm working on an avast scan at the moment to find any more buggers and take care of them.

Had a few glitches along the way and have probably restarted the computer a hundred times today but my files I was missing from install are all in place after updating windows (SP1a, SP3 & 47 more) and at this point in time I've stopped receiving error messages so I guess we'll go from here :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Good news then :)