Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Excel Link Broken but doesn't exist in file

• Please log in to reply

Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We have a spreadsheet that has been updated on a monthly basis for at least six years. Every time we open the workbook, we get an error that a link cannot be updated. The link does not exist in the link box, nor can we find on any sheets. I've already checked for hidden sheets and have done a search on every sheet for a specific word that exists in the link. I've not been able to find this link anywhere. I've also checked all the headers and footers.

Any suggestions on where this link might be hiding?

I've even broken the original workbook into five smaller workbooks. I made a copy of the sheets into new workbooks. This broken link message shows up when all five new workbooks are opened. I've been trying to find this link for over a year. It is slowly driving me mad!

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi

Any VBA? Try Alt+F11 to see if there is anything there.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I found this which might help. I've never used it before, but it looks like it would do the trick. It seems to have a search feature that will help you find the broken links.

Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Great suggestion on the VB. I had never checked that.

Finally found where the links were. They were named ranges that referred to external workbooks. Went into Insert, Name, Define and deleted all the ranges that were no longer being used and they work perfectly!

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts

Finally found where the links were. They were named ranges that referred to external workbooks. Went into Insert, Name, Define and deleted all the ranges that were no longer being used and they work perfectly!

Well done! Hope I remember that one. :)