Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

First Build. Good?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all new to building computers and was looking for some feedback on what I purchased for my first build. Im going to be reusing my HD and DVD RW from my compaq until sometime in March and plan on using the onboard Video card until the same time. Could someone recommend a good video card for me for around $100? Im also going to be putting Windows 7 32 bit on.

Case: NZXT M59-001BK M59 Gaming Mid Tower Case - ATX, mATX, Baby AT, Black

Mobo/CPU: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboard w/ MD785G w/ AMD Athlon II 250 CPU w/Fan Bundle

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus

Ram: WINTEC AMPX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048

Thanks in advanced everyone.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Looks like some nice components. Question though? Are you dead set at purchasing from CompUSA? A lot of us computer geeks shop Newegg.

Here is the same combo for less money: Gigabyte Mobo w/ Athlon II x2 250 Regor $129.98
The case is actually more expensive, unless you do the mail in rebate: NZXT M59 $69.99, but $49.99 after mail in rebate
OCZ ModXtreme Modular PSU $74.99, $49.99 after mail in rebate.
With the money I've saved you (approximately $30 so far if you include Mail In Rebates) I'd go with better memory and MORE memory,
like this: OCZ Gold Series 4GB (2gb x 2) (Need 64bit Operating system to recognize over 3.5gigs of RAM or more)

I used this same motherboard and the Athlon II x2 240 Regor for my parents build and I'm EXTREMELY pleased with its performance. I was rather shocked at how speedy the system is when I use it from time to time. They also use the 500 watt version of the same power supply, again, no complaints.

Could someone recommend a good video card for me for around $100? Im also going to be putting Windows 7 32 bit on.

I recommend this card: Nvidia 9600 GTX - $134.99 or if you have to stay around $100, then this: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850

I also recommend that you go with Windows 7 64bit. It will allow you to see all 4gb of RAM and more if you ever upgrade to more. 64bit OS's don't really experience the problems they use to or that you may have heard of in the past. I use Windows 7 64bit, not a single problem.

Edited by Ferrari, 31 January 2010 - 11:25 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No I didnt order it all from Compusa I was just using it as a referance to what I got. I actually only ordered the Mobo/CPU from there, case from amazon, and ram PSU from newegg. Just impatiently waiting for it all to arrive now haha. Thanks for the sugggestions. I have 32 and 64 bit of Win7 for free from school so Ill just upgrade to 64bit after I get more memory and a new HD.