Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My laptop will not start up

• Please log in to reply

goldenbda1

goldenbda1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Red disk: Operating System all ready stored on computer. Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit SP1. Software is already installed on computer. Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on Dell PC.
Black disk: Drivers and utilites already installed on your computer. Reinstall Dell Latitude and Dell Precision. Mobile work station and computer software.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so you have a Recovery cd. Now this is where it gets tricky. Some recovery disk will allow for two different types of recovery.
Destructive which means it formats the drive completely and returns the drive back to original like it was new.
Non Destructive is like a repair installation and should keep all data intact.
Some only do the first type.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 February 2010 - 08:11 AM.

goldenbda1

goldenbda1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok which disk is actually the recovery disk? Red or Black? And I do not have disk handy, it is stored at my sister's house, I will complete everything tomorrow. But I'm willing to get this ball rolling. And again thank you so much for taking the time out to assist me. I truly love the internet.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
RED is the OS disk so that is the actual Recovery disk.
I am here till the end or you give up as I don't quit easily.

goldenbda1

goldenbda1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello. I have the recovery disk. I inserted the disk and the computer and restarted. It went back to the safe mode screen. I tried this many times. Finally I pressed F12 and was able to go to the bios screen. There was an option for cd/dvd drive. I click on it and it started up the disk. I followed the needed steps and thought everything would be good once installation was completed however to my surprise the system only restarted and went back to safe mode screen and a different font. Seems that the font is smaller. I've attempted to use other options ie. logging into system in safe mode, logging into system normal. Every option restartst the system and takes me back to safe mode.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK exactly what did you do?
Did the system do a repair or format?

goldenbda1

goldenbda1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I had a friend come over to "fix" my problem I beiieve he did a system format. Everything seems to be running well now. What is my next move?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have formatted and gotten everything reinstalled at this point then you should have a near new running system.
What exactly are you wanting to know? If your friend formatted then any data is now gone.

goldenbda1

goldenbda1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Xcellent!! Thank you for all your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system back up and running now?
How does everything look in Device Manager with all your drivers?
Any other issues that we may be able to assist with?

Advertisements