Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Resolution problems... i think

• Please log in to reply

Pyrolizzard

Pyrolizzard

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey guys

I recently purchased a radeon 9800 to replace my old G-force Ti 4400 and installed with no issues… after everything was done I loaded up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and after bout 10 min the screen… well… hiccupped. It was like the resolution was trying to change it the middle of the game… it flashed on and off bout 3 times then went completely black with only the sound of the monitor continuing to change resolutions (you know the sound of static you get went u load up a game). The game itself was not affected because I could still hear myself walk around and shoot, but the screen kept turning on and off… after a wile a blue box (like the one u get when your monitor isn’t plugged in) flashed across the screen and I managed to read “Out of Range/ H: 0.62 V: 6.02” (numbers might not be right as I only caught a glimpse). No one I have talked to has been of any help… connections have all been checked, drivers reinstalled, and power supply bumped from 350 generic to a 535 Enermax. It also started to do it on other games making them almost unplayable…. and even once on the desktop! If anyone has any idea whats up with it, ill do anything.

System:
Asus A8V (Ai series)
AMD 64bit 3000
2sticks 512 DDR 400
Radeon 9800

Thanx

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
this sounds like the monitor acting up on you. whats the make/model, and is it CRT or LCD?
some CRT monitors, especially lower priced ones, will only display at certain resolutions. typically though its an all or nothing situation, either you get picture or you dont.

do you have another monitor you could try out, and also try this monitor on another system? maybe swap with a buddy for a couple days, see if the problems continue. this would at least narrow it down to the monitor or your video card.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
This is usually a result of the video card exceeding the scan range of the monitor.
You might be able to fix this by changing the refresh rate - go to control panel -> display-> settings-> advanced -> adapter and change the refresh rate to adapter default & try that.

Be careful changing the refresh rate to any particular rate unless you know the monitor supports it.

If this doesn't help, there may be additional settings in the display->advanced menu that your video card has added. So check these out as well.

Pyrolizzard

Pyrolizzard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanx for the fast response

My monitor is and EPI Envision EN-980e (19 in) and i haven't had a problem untill the new Radeon... i could try it on a friends comp but in several days... i just discovered drivers for it so i tryed installing those but i don't think it will matter. i also found under the "Advanced > Display" option a DDC Information thing that said that max rez was 1920x1200 and refresh was 160... that as far as i know is not at all true for my monitor... so i changed that to 1600x1200 with a max of 85 hz. Do you think that will help?

thanx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It should help providing of course that your monitor supports that refresh rate.
You may well find that installing the monitor driver helps - if nothing else, there may be some documentation in it that lists the supported resolutions & refresh rates.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just checked out your monitor on envision website - it can support a MAX of 1600 x 1200 @ 75Hz.
So do not whack it up to 85Hz!

Pyrolizzard

Pyrolizzard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i only have it (on the desktop) at 1024x768 and at 60 hz (like it better :tazz: ) so ill try it out and let you know how it works out, hopefully it was just trying to put the rez to high in the game

Pyrolizzard

Pyrolizzard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well... i tryed the lower refresh and all that but with no luck... a friend thought it might be running too hot so i felt the radeon just after turning my comp off... it was so hot i could hardly grab on to it! now... i know some parts run hot but is a 9800 suposed to be (just about) too hot to tuch? and could that make it trun off in the middle of a game?

Edited by Pyrolizzard, 19 May 2005 - 11:53 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
oh yeah, if the card is overheating it will shut down to protect itself. first, make sure the oncard fan is running.
how many case fans do you have, both exhaust and intake (if any)?

are you using the ati catalyst driver? if so, load up the catalyst center, go to the overdrive menu (bottom choice on left), it will have a temperture readout and gauge for the video card.
best measure would be to open the catalyst center, get it to where you see the temp readout, and leave that up on the desktop. then start your game, play it for a while. if you start getting video glitches, exit the game and see what the temp is right as you come out of the game. that temp will show how hot it got running at full load.

my guess is the card is getting too hot, in which case another case fan or two will help out significantly.

let us know the temps, and if the card fan is running.

Pyrolizzard

Pyrolizzard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am curently running 4 fans (1 intake 1 side intake and 2 exhaust) and yes the fan on the card is working... but as for the temp... i am using the Catalyst drivers but on the Catalyst Controle Center i couldn't find the overdrive menu. is there another center? or another version? i have the newest because i just downloaded it 3 days ago but i couldn't find the menu you were talking bout.

Edited by Pyrolizzard, 20 May 2005 - 01:14 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
4 case fans, youve got plenty of airflow.
in the catalyst center, on the left side, where you can select between the different setting screens, the overdrive is on the very bottom.
maybe it doesnt appear for your card...in which case take a look around, see if it give the temperature reading anywhere.

noobtech

noobtech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
try another monitor, dont buy one but take it to a friends or something. Just start ruling out what the problem can be.

Pyrolizzard

Pyrolizzard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well... it turns out it was a problem with the card causeing it to overheat. The store tested the card and gave me a new one. so far all the problems have not returned so it seems to have fixed it. thanx for all the help!