Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting up RAID 0/1 enclosure problem...need help!

• Please log in to reply

Musashi1584

Musashi1584

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a problem that will probably be very simple for many of you. First, here is the equipment I am using.

1. Nexstar MX Dual 3.5" Sata HDD enclosure. It includes eSata and USB 2.0 connections.
2. 2, 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 32mb Cache, 7200 rpm
3. My computer: Alienware M17x, eSata/U.S.B. combo port, all the bells and whistles, updated drivers etc.

I originally bought the first HDD and installed/formatted it. It worked fine and I could store and access it properly. This was through eSata. However, when I attempted to install the second HDD I could not see it in device manager to format it. I researched online and read that some eSata ports don't support multi-port so can only pick up one drive. I then used the USB 2.0 and the second drive showed up in device manager. I proceeded to format and test the functionality of the second drive. It worked fine.

I then switched back to eSata thinking that I could probably see both drives now that the second was formatted and worked but this did not happen. Only the first drive showed up again. I think I should mention that I have tried every setting available to the enclosure I own. So basically I went through JBOD, Raid 0, Raid 1, and Independent. None of them work through eSata except for independent in which the first drive is the only one available. This is the same as with USB 2.0.

Now my problem is not that the drives themselves don't work but that they are not in any RAID mode. So the two 1.5 tb drives are not showing up as one 3 tb drive or in RAID as a 3 tb drive. Personally I don't think it is a problem with the eSata port because both drives show up in USB but still don't show up as one 3 tb drive.

If someone could please help me setup this enclosure I would be very thankful and it would relieve my of very much stress. If it is relevant at all I should mention that the manual said that the HD capacity is up to 2tb but from my research this means 2 tb per slot. This is a dual slot enclosure so this would mean each slot can handle 2 tb times two which would equal a total capacity of 4 tb.

If I have left anything out please contact me or post here and I will respond quickly. Thanks again and really hope to talk to someone soon.

Advertisements

Musashi1584

Musashi1584

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No one knows how to fix this problem?