Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem transferring files to new account?.

• Please log in to reply

bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and up to date. I share this PC with my daughter who normally has a limited account while mine is the administrator account. For some strange reason while uninstalling/reinstalling my Firewall, on reboot I have lost the Windows starting, Log-On, Log-off and Recycle bin sounds. All my other video / audio sounds are working perfectly and it isn't a fault with the soundcard.
In Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds, I have the appropriate sounds when I test them but the ones mentioned above are not working on my account. I checked my daughters account and they are all working there so thinking it was a corrupt account problem I decided to open a new account and transfer all my files to it before deleting my old account on completion.
First I changed my daughters account to administrator then following the tutorial I downloaded from here one time I opened a new account. I then entered my daughters "now administrative" account, ticked the two boxes and applied to show hidden folders and then I have to copy and paste the files and subfiles from my old account to my new account but cannot as I cannot see the folder for my account. I can see my daughters account folder as well as the shared and new account folders but not my present account folder.
I have a vague memory of making my account folders private once but cannot remember what i did, so cannot undo it. I have googled the problem but did not find a solution, so hopefully I can find one here. I thought that by giving my daughters account administrative rights I would then see it but apparently not. Does anybody know where I am going wrong and offer a solution?.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I have a vague memory of making my account folders private once but cannot remember what i did, so cannot undo it.

when you did that you password protected those files..
try this...
if you must access a file or a folder that you do not have rights to, you must take ownership of that file or folder. When you do this, you replace the security permissions that were originally created for the file or folder....the how to is here

bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I found out that it was a corrupted "Default User" account in Windows XP Home that had caused it to happen, but thanks for your reply.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
WElcome to Geeks To Go!

I'm glad you got it sorted on your own, but for the benefit of others who may at some time get the same problem, could you please post how you fixed the corrupt user account?

Thank you

Phillip

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I haven't figured out how to fix it Philip, At present I am using the administrator account that was created a year ago when I last reformatted, as my account which is working alright, never having been used. I got round my original problem by copying the files to the shared account and then from the shared account to the newly created account. That is when I realised that there was another problem. The background in any new account I open is jet black and extremely large windows icons and although I can change this in settings I am also losing some graphics on internet forums etc. I get the text but with a plain white backing and no colors etc.Thinking this was a different problem at first with my new monitor a chap at Bleeping Computer suggested a solution by copying the details from the working admin account to the corrupt default user account. I tried this but it didn't work. I have backed up my files and will use this account as long as it works and will do a probably overdue reformat if and when this solution fails.