Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video over cat5 -- any ideas

• Please log in to reply

eurobink

eurobink

• Pip
  • 6 posts
does anyone have experience in extending video over cat5?
we are looking to run several monitors through our server over cat5 in dvi or vga
any input would be great

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the distance you're wanting to traverse? what's the purpose? are all the monitors showing the same thing? is there a terminal at the other end for input or is this just for display? what's your budget?

eurobink

eurobink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
less than 100' -- just for display purposes -- i believe we may want to have an option for different view on each monitor-- budget? wow --- most cost effective

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well you can get 100+ foot VGA cables pretty easily (of course, they're not the cheapest things in the world... 125' is around $400 us depending where you get them from

then there are the cheaper VGA to ethernet converters (like these), for these you've got to get a base unit and an extender device...so, you may end up spending the same as the really long VGA cables

eurobink

eurobink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
can't run wire -- everything under floor -- thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..then you may be out of luck. if i'm correct (which i may not be, you may want to contact one of the manufacturers of the vga to ethernet devices i posted above to be sure) you can't plug that contraption into a switch and have it work, you've got to run the ethernet cables directly from one end to the other.

eurobink

eurobink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
cat 6 already run everywhere-- already connected to patch panel --

Just Add Power

Just Add Power

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You can do this (send DVI video over CAT6 using your existing structured wiring) with our HDMI over IP devices. A simple and inexpensive HDMI > DVI adapter cable would be all you need to convert the HDMI over IP Transmitters and Receivers to work with DVI sources and screens.

Hope this helps.