Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Copy Old hard drive contents to new one

• Please log in to reply

Demetri

Demetri

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Im back, I bought a new hard drive and i want to copy everything from one hard drive to another. 1- being my master and other being slave. Is it possible to do this before or after installing windows xp professional ? If so and how. :)

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Is this a replacement for the OS drive of the same computer? If the OS is already installed on the current drive and you want to swap the new drive for the old, the best bet is to use the manufacturers' utility. For example, Western Digital makes a utility that will clone the old drive to the new. Then it's just a matter of swapping out the drives.

What type of drive did you purchase?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a continuation of this topic HERE.
I would suggest HDClone which is in my signature below. It will clone exactly the partitions you have. This means if you bought a larger HD you will need a partition manager program to stretch the partition out to the full size of your drive.

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I bought a maxtor and i want to clone a western digital.What do you think of v-com copy commander ???

Edited by Demetri, 02 February 2010 - 07:01 PM.