Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor goes blank

• Please log in to reply

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
randomly my monitor will go blank and my case still has power because all the lights are on and same with the fans, the cpu also is running, same with the graphics, the hard drive, and the motherboard i think. Im not positive because the only reason i know they are running is there fans are still running, or in the motherboards case the lights are still on, and in the hard drive's case i can feel the hard drive spinning. The monitor will just suddenly lose connections and go to sleep. This randomly starting happening after i installed google chrome, shutdown guard, and cyberlink power director 8. I uninstalled cyberlink and it still happens and turned off shut down guard. I have a BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD , a sapphire 5770 1gb, a 500gb 7200rpm 32 mb cache, a rosewill cruiser case, a amd phenom II x3 720, 4gb ddr3 1600 patriot ram, and a corsair 400w power supply. The monitor is a Samsung Sync Master 730B and is 4 years or older. The problem doesn't occur suddenly it takes a while for it to happen. Thanks and sorry if i post this in the wrong section.

Advertisements

chanchalseo

chanchalseo

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
Just try to taking out the computers RAM, blowing out any dust, and then putting it back in again.

If still it is happening than contact someone who can help you :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) chanchalseo

Have you tried a different monitor to see if it is the monitor itself having the problem?
It sounds like the system itself is running correctly but your monitor is failing.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
yes Rshaffer i think that is the problem. chanchalseo i dont think thats the problem because i took all the parts out and rebuilt it, and it still has the same problem. i am going to hopefully get a new monitor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Changing the monitor is the quickest and most effective way of checking as it will show either a faulty monitor or a system problem. I myself don't believe it's a system problem you are having mikewang. :)
Can you possibly just borrow a monitor to test it to be sure?

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
yeah im going to. But is this a common problem in monitors?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They go bad just like any other part. Some lose the color guns and you get all kinds of funky colors.
Yours the monitor just went out.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
okay, but the monitor doesn't turn off it just isn't connected. and for some reason when i restart the computer, just turning it off and turning it back on, it will connect again. So how could it be a monitor issue? TANks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is what a monitor will do when it is failing. The signal does not coome through. Eventually it will not be able to reset.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
so why would restarting the computer fix the problem? Sometimes it wouldn't right?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It resets the monitor and eventually it gets it right and starts receiving the signal again.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
ahh, that explains it. Sadly i can't really test it that well because im going to wait until the problem occurs and then change monitors without restarting the computer and see if it helps :). Do you think this will work?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep should... you can put a monitor and and if it doesn't happen when you turn off system and then turn it backl on that really should tell you since that is when it happens.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
k thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and sorry for the long absence as I am putting together my new system. Good luck and please let us know how everything turns out. If you have more question please ask and I will try to answer them for you.