Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

monitor goes blank

• Please log in to reply

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
okay, the only thing i installed was cyberlink power director 8, which i uninstalled, shutdown guard, which i uninstalled, and google chrome, which I uninstalled, I don't think the problem has occured since then, but i'm not sure its gone because it doesn't happen very often. It happens approximately once a week. Also, the graphics card is plugged in and I do have one built on my mobo, so if it occurs again I will switch graphic cards. So I will run the memtest. Also, if there are no problems showing from the memtest than the problem is probably gone, but if it happens again can I pm you? Or should I just post a response on this topic, or create a new topic. THANKS FOR HELPING ME.

Edit: Do I need to use the memtest you gave me? Because my motherboard has a onboard memtest. Thank You

Edited by mikewang, 07 February 2010 - 09:29 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it has been more then 3 days them pm me. Otherwise I will monitor this for a response.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 February 2010 - 05:24 PM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Today the screen showed stripes of green and brown I think, I am slightly color blind. I am about to run the memory test and have contacted Sapphire about this issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure its the video card because monitors color guns going out will make some strange colors happen like that.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
A problem I encountered today is, my computer now shows I only have 3.75gb of ram. How do I make it show 4gbs of ram?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where is it showing this?
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show
System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
okay, it might be tommorow when I can actually give you these results because I am running the memtest like you said to. How long do you think it will take? Also, I updated my bios, could that have caused the change in memory? Lastly, when I go into the bios or at the beginning when I press the del key and look to choose which graphics card to choose it has 4 options. All of which all the same letters just in a different order.
Like here are 2 examples
Pcis-sdfs-qwer-ghfs
ghfs-sdfs-Pcis-qwer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bios upgrade shouldn't have done anything with seeing the memory.
Where are you only seeing 3.75 gigs of memory showing?
As far as graphics card I'm not sure what you are attempting to do as putting a addon graphics card in your system should auto disable any onboard card so there would be no bios adjustment needed.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Oh I didn't know that about pluggin in the graphics card. That helps a bunch. And I am seeing this when I click start, right click my computer, and click properties. It says I have 3.75 gb of ram.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK lets see what it says with Everest.
Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Advertisements

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
okay, and so far on my test I have 1 pass and 479 errors! But in the column that says errs it has none. So which one is the one that matters? From left to right I have wall time, cached, rsvdmem, memmap, cache, ECC, test, pass, errors, ECC, errs. Could these errors have anything to do with me having to overclock my motherboard for it to accept ddr3 1600 memory?

Edited by mikewang, 10 February 2010 - 04:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OC'ing something i don't advise on. Others here have no problem with it but I personally see no point in it.
I'm not sure what you are referring to as Everest doesn't show all that. If you are running the memtest I posted then in post 37 the last picture are seeing the errors in the highlighted areas?

If so then you would have faulty memory. Are you testing each stick by itself or everything together?
Are you running old memory before OC and new memory like you stated above?
What was the old memory mhz and was it DDR2?

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Sorry for the confusion, I have two sticks of ram, each stick being 2gb of ddr3 1600 ram. Total I have 4gbs of ram. I am running the memtest like you told me to run and are seeing 1131(the number increased because the test kept running) errors in the column you highlighted in post 37 the last picture. I am testing both sticks at once because when I bought the ram from newegg.com it was 1 item that had them packaged together and if I am to return the ram I have to return them both. None of this information I gave you in the previous post is from Everest. And now that we see so many errors can I stop the memtest and are you sure that this is the problem? I had no old ram sorry for misleading you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well if you are getting errors then stop the test. You need ot isolate which stick is faulty by running the test on each stick by itself.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Okay, I might do that or I might just return both sticks to get a refund. Just in case, which are the best makers of memory?