Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java JRE Installation/Removal Problem

• Please log in to reply

jherokee

jherokee

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I recently tried to access a website that required a JVM on my machine. My JVM has been working in the past so when this page gave me an error, I researched further. I went to the java webpage and ran the test to see if my JVM was running. The page half loaded, but then it hung - went non-responsive, always showing an hourglass for the mouse cursor. The JVM test failed. My JVM is not working!

I went through the reccommended steps on the java.com page to make sure that Java was enabled in my browser (IE8), it was.

I have tried to uninstall JRE and reinstall it several times. So far I haven't been able to get it to install. The install fails. I have run the MS Install clean up tool, but don't see any java entries to remove except the Java updater.

I recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8. This may or may not have anything to with the problem.

Now, after trying so many things, my "add and remove programs" doesn't show JRE as a program to remove and I don't see it in the MS Install Cleanup list either.

But when I go to the java page now, it notices that I don't have a JRE and let's me go through the process of installing one, until I hit an error.

Right now, during the JRE install, it thinks Java is already installed, asks if I want to reinstall, I say yes, then it says, "This action is only allowed for products that are currently installed". I say, "ok" and it goes back to ask me if I want to reinstall Java. An infinite loop. The only way out of this loop is to say, "no".

Several times it said it would save the error log to a certain file. I have looked where it says it is storing it and I can't find the error log file.

I have even got to the point of renaming the java directory on my computer from:
C:\Program Files\Java
to
C:\Program Files\Java_Orig

to try to fake it out. No luck.

I have run a registry cleaner multiple times. I have scanned my computer for viruses several times with multiple scanner programs. I have run out of ideas.

I have captured some log files but can't upload them here.

Please advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I downloaded JavaRA, ran it, removing my old JRE and then used it to download the latest JRE.

The first time I did this, I got a "Error Signature" error during the JRE download before it could even finish the download.

I repeated the process you reccomended from the top. I used JavaRA to remove any JRE on my computer.

I used the JavaRA Update button to take me to the site to download the latest JRE. This time, the download completed, saving the install files on my desktop. I ran the file: jre-6u18-windows-i586-iftw-rv.exe.

I got the same results I was getting yesterday:
- The JRE install detected that I already had this JRE version running on my computer
- It asked if I wanted to reinstall
- I said yes
- It said "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

I go to the JVM test page at java.com. This page loads, but the applet never runs. The browser just hangs.

Ideas? Please advise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try something else.
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, I ran the checkdisk /r and yes, it required a computer restart.

After the checkdisk finished and windows started up, I ran the JVM test on java.com. First of all, it told me that I had the latest JRE installed. But when I ran the JVM test, it hung the brower window after it loaded all but the applet.

I ran the JavaRa to remove all installations.

I ran the JRE install again, and I got the same results as yesterday and the day before. That is, it said I had the JRE already installed, asked if I wanted to re-install, I say yes, it says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed".

I repeated the process with JavaRa and JRE install and got the same results.

I will re-run the checkdisk /r, but don't expect different results.

I am leaving town tomorrow for 8 days. I am not giving up on this problem, I just won't be around this desktop computer so I won't be able to try anything until I get back.

Any ideas? Please advise. I will get back to this later next week. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see if it is a browser issue then.
Try getting Firefox from my signature below and seeing if the issue happens with it. If not then we have a browser problem and will have to work with that assumption.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I downloaded and installed Firefox. Results: No difference. All the same results when use Firefox and go to java.com to check my JVM. I still get a java.exe error pop-up when then applet is trying to load or execute.

I even went through the process with JavaRA. I got the same results when I try to re-install the latest version of Java as I have before.

I can't tell that anything is different.

I appreciate your help. What can I try next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and see if it helps..

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Find Java (Sun) item and check or uncheck the checkbox which says
'Use Java Version Number for applet (requires restart)'
5. Check or uncheck the box next to Microsoft VM.
6. Click OK to save your changes.
7. Restart the browser.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 February 2010 - 04:04 PM.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Looking at the advanced Internet options you suggested, I found:
Java(Sun)
"Use JRE 1.6.0_18 for <applet> (requires restart)"
This box was checked. I did not see any other Java(Sun) options.

Microsoft VM:
"Java Console enabled"
"Java logging enabled"
"JIT compilter for VM enabled)"
This last box was checked and I assumed that was the one you were suggesting.

So with these two boxes (Java(sun) and MS VM JIT VM) I tried all four combinations of checking them or unchecking them. (both unchecked, one unchecked... et al)

I tested the JVM, as before, at the java.com website.
Neither IE and Firefox were successful with the JVM test applet. Either the browser would hang (go non-responsive) or I would get a java error pop up.

Where do we look next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well lets check some more and see what we can find.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Advertisements

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK, I ran the system file checker. It ran and completed without asking for my Windows CD. I looked at the event log. It mostly had information events logged, with one error on ati2mtag - Category CRT.

I checked my JVM and nothing different happened. Still no valid applet or a hung browser window.

My reason for needing the JVM to work is another website that I am wanting to use. This website requires that the JVM to be working. When I tried to access this web application, I get the javaw.exe error pop up, just like I get from the java.com site.

I am still hopefull that we can figure this out.

What can I try next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you give me the link to the website so I can check it out?

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 February 2010 - 07:44 PM.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
You mean, the website that uses the JVM besides the www.java.com?

It is: http://www.familysea...et_indexing.asp

Click the "Start indexing" button. The JVM ap should start. It runs on my other computer just fine, so I know the webpage is okay. You have to be registered to actually get all the way into the application, but even without registering, you can even click the "Start Indexing" button and the JVM ap should start.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
http://www.familysea...et_indexing.asp

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep works fine for me after some downloading of software.
This is just strange because everything is saying you don't have java installed. You say this started after updating to IE8. Have you tried to uninstall IE8 and go back to IE7?