Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java JRE Installation/Removal Problem

• Please log in to reply

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I haven't tried uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling IE7.

Should I? If so, how do I do this?

With IE8, the JVM works for me on my other computer.

On the computer with the problem, neiter IE8 or Firefox has a working JVM.

Another idea: Could this possibly be due to my antivirus SW? I am running MS Security Essentials and AdAware on the computer that doesn't work. On the computer that does work, I am running McAfee Enterprise and AdAware. If so, how could I tell?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure why AV would cause this type of issue unless it detects site as a threat.
What I was suggesting was uninstalling the IE8 and trying just IE7.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have just now uninstalled IE8 and restarted my computer.

When I start IE, I checked it to see that indeed it is IE7.

I test the JVM at java.com and the family indexing site.

Both pages either hang or give me a javaw.exe error.

Where to from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is just weird.
As far as the browser and the OS everything seems to be ok.
Try downloading and installing Firefox from my signature below and see if the problem happens with it also.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
You had recommended Firefox (see your post 2/4) and I installed Firefox 2/13.

I posted my results - no difference.

I have tried testing my JVM with Firefox since then and even today, the problem with JVM exists. When I go to the java.com Test your JVM page, a black filled rectangle shows up where the applet should be, then I get a pop-up java.exe error.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.
The only thing i can think of at this point is to test memory and then try a Repair Installation to see if something is missing.
So let's test memory first to make sure that hardware is good.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

APKristin86

APKristin86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was having the same problem for days and could not find a cure - then finally I found it and it's SO simple:

1. Click the Start menu
2. Click Run
3. Type "regedit" and click OK
4. Double click on the folder that reads "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
5. Double click on the folder that reads "SOFTWARE"
6. Double click on the folder that reads "JavaSoft"
7. Delete the folder that reads "Java Runtime Environment"
8. Install Java

Please let me know if this solves your problem!

BigRay33

BigRay33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got a similar problem. Mine came when I tried to install java 64bit using IE 8. Well, after talking to MicroSoft, IE 8 is a 32bit application. So if your running a 64bit OS using IE 8 DONT update to java 64. I've tried deleting every registry (regedit) that I found anything that said Java*.*, renamed the C:\Program....\Java directory and run Windows Install Clean Up. Now, when I try to install java it still thinks it's still installed and prompts me to reinstall it. Of course I click "yes" and immediately after I get a window that says, "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

This [bleep] thing has got me frustrated...

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
rshaffer61: I have two memory sticks, one is 1GB, the other 256MB. I booted the machine with one or the other in by itself, watching the boot up memory test. I tried each stick by itself and the test always came back "OK".

APKristin86: I had some hope for a while with your suggestion. I deleted the JRE registry folder and then I zeroed out the Java current version field. java.com recognized, at first, I didn't have java installed. When I started the install, it then asked if I wanted to remove the old install, I did, and then it actually let me go through the whole process of installing again. In the end, the install finished but the JVM test failed, with a hung webpage.

BigRay33: Let me know if you find a solution.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try opening IE and go to Tools
Then to Options or Preferences which ever it is.
In the new window go to Advance
Scroll down through and make sure java is enabled. If not enable it.

Advertisements

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I checked IE Advanced Settings and saw that Java was enabled.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just don't know at this point what is stopping it.
Could be a active infection but i can't say that for sure.
You would have to have it checked out by the malware techs to make sure.

jherokee

jherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Are you suggesting that I get my topic to the Malware forum at geekstogo.com?

If so, how would you suggest I do this? Somehow get this transferred, repost it with a summary, or start a new topic? I think the history of what we have been through could be helpful. What do you think?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The easiest way is to start a new topic with a link to this one.
Explain that we believe it is time to check for malware because there seems to be no reason for what is going on.

We will also monitor the malware topic

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry about that I had a stupid moment.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here