Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Media Player Crashing

• Please log in to reply

Airoch420

Airoch420

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had saved alot of my songs and other stuff I had collected from my CD's over the years to a portable HD so I could format my old computer. When I copyed them back over to my C drive some time later and got the media player to import all of them again it will randomly crash during songs. I am really clueless as to why it is doing this as the music sounds fine it is never in the same part of a song or could be any album.

It does not freeze or hardlock or give a windows error report it just closes on its own.

Any idea would be awesome as I dont want to lose all this music I have copied from my CD's and some from other people.

Advertisements

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Bump? does anyone use this site anymore?

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
helllllloooooo?

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
more bump.

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
more bump.

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello Airoch420,

Welcome to GTG...

It doesn't sound like you are at risk of losing your music files since WMP is having problems playing them. However, I have a couple of questions that might help me (since this is not my primary area of expertise) or anyone else reviewing your topic.

1. What version of WMP are you using?
2. Did the crashing start after you reformatted your computer or did these crashes occur before then also?
3. Does the Event Viewer (Applications option) show anything related to WMP at the time of the crashes?
4. Have you tried an alternate music application to see if the music files play without trouble?

Best regards,

dm

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
1.Currently Using WMP 11.
2.I believe they did start after the format thought I am not 100% on that.
3.not sure how to see that.
4.This is the error report I get roughly 1/10 times the other 9 times it just closes on its own randomly.

AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 11.0.5721.5145 ModName: indiv02.key
ModVer: 11.0.6000.6324 Offset: 000f2309

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
A small app I use instead of wmp is called Billy, and is freeware. You could try it as kind of a troubleshooting app. If it works ok, then you know you have a problem with wmp. Billy is found here: http://www.sheepfrie...com/?page=billy

artm12

artm12

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Friend
This is usually due to damaged, misconfigured, conflicting, or poorly written codec drivers. It is possible, perhaps even likely, that other media players will crash when they attempt to play this file as well, as most of them will also use DirectShow. Although GSpot was able to intercept the crash, attempts to identify the codec which caused it have failed.

Thanks,
James