Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Paranoid about system security

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You were correct to run memtest with the two modules. Only if there are errors you need to run it with one module at a time to find which of the two is faulty.

I see no problems in Everest data.

What is left now is to run XP repair as per instructions in the link in my signature. Please note: XP repair is far from being a sure shot. Many time you end worse then you started. I myself do not use this procedure after having a considerable number of failures, prefering to run clean format.

To increase the chances for success run disk defragmantation and disable your antivirus before starting the process.

Advertisements

tonyneves

tonyneves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
alright. I guess I need to reformat then.

Do you know anything about why the user "help assistant" keeps installing itself on my system?

I have tried multiple ways to remove this feature, and nothing seems to be working.

Through the control panel under user profiles I have removed it, disabled through windows firewall, disabled through group policy, through the run command gpsedit.msc....

All the help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Click Help and Support service and either disable it or change to Manual.

tonyneves

tonyneves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
hello. So I have been disabling, and attempting to disable various remote; desktop, access, procedure, registry actions.

Some of them I was able to disable, but some give me this error code;
Could not stop the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Do you think that this is a serious security issue?

I have never allowed remote assistance or turned it on before I started having computer issues, and it was only when I starting doing all of the various malware scans and such that I discovered this.

Is my system safe?

Do you advise just reformatting? If so, are there any tips to do it in a timely and efficient manner? I cant afford to spend days on it because I need this machine to do personal business and work.

Thanks again for all of your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know if the problem you describe has any security meaning.

Regarting reformat: Whatever you hear, very often reformat take less time then solving particular issues, and it is always the best repair. It's not a lazy technician's way of working. It's just the right thing to do.

Reformat shouldn't take more then 2-4 hours if you have a reasonable amount of data to back up and you have an average number of applications installed (Don't forget: format wipes off everything so your data must be backed up before).

First thing to do is to make sure that you have all the installation CDs or installation files for your applications, product keys included. See if you have drivers for your computer (motherboard, video card, printer etc.). If not, download the drivers from the internet using another computer and copy them into a flash drive to be moved and installed on the formatted computer. This will save you time.

That's, very briefly, all I can tell you right now. If you feel that you can do this then go for it. If you have further questions - please ask.