Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade on a Dell XPS 600

• Please log in to reply

sparkyxplode

sparkyxplode

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope I am posting in the right place...please let me know if not.

I am trying to upgrade my Dell XPS 600. I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and went for broke adding 8 GB of RAM. Now Windows freezes at the login screen and locks up to the only option of powering off. However I can get it to start in safe mode with all 8 GB installed. It shows it, it recognizes it, no errors come up. But the only way to get Windows to boot normally is to drop back down to 2 or 4 GB of ram. On several occasions I got a bsod with a System/Service/Exception error.

I don’t know if I made any sense here but any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Crucial.com this machine requires memory modules to be installed in matched pairs, otherwise it doesn't like it. The machine will take 8Gb of memory and it sounds like you're trying to mix various speeds, brands and what not.

sparkyxplode

sparkyxplode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I checked that it was all the same, I even purchased it all at the same time.

All the RAM is PNY XLR8 800 MHz 4GB DDR2.

I tried installing in matching pairs, and in sequence, still no go.

I ran a compatibility check before I bought the RAM, and after install it shows in Bios, device manager and memory management.