Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PROXY

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. I am looking for Free or inexpensive way to browse web anonymously. Can you please suggest something, that will not slow my browsing speed down or at least won't slow it down by much, and can protect my on-line identity. Thank you.

Edited by bigdog1100, 02 February 2010 - 02:08 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Before going down this route, you might want to read this:
http://en.wikipedia....s_proxy_servers

Also the best way to protect online identify is the same as in real life: You don't leave your home address and telephone number on the bus so don't leave them on websites you don't trust.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thank you. Now, are there any suggestions for any speciffic proxies?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
A proxy server is not going to "protect your online identity" if you plan to engage in illegal activity like terrorism or child pron, for example. A proxy service is a false sense of security. If you are trying to evade an IP ban or circumvent a site you've been banned from, then we can't help you because it violates the TOS of the site. The same policy applies if you are trying to get around your employer's Internet policy.

So if you are genuinely trying to protect your anonimity online, forget a proxy server, it's not going to help. If you need a proxy service to get around someone else's rules, we can't help. If you have any questions, please PM an admin of this site.
Johanna

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I absolutely and wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that proxy server is not going to help protecting my privacy and anonymity on-line. THere are other MANY OTHER reason's one would want to protect their privacy. And to make above suggestions about me only signifies that you are extremely hostile, rude , unprofessional and inappro[riate person. And for that matter I prefer communicating with male support. I will be in touch with the owner of this website about your demeanor. This is supposed to be open forum for technical assistance. And to engage in personal attacks is completely uncalled for!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I absolutely and wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that proxy server is not going to help protecting my privacy and anonymity on-line. THere are other MANY OTHER reason's one would want to protect their privacy. And to make above suggestions about me only signifies that you are extremely hostile, rude , unprofessional and inappro[riate person. And for that matter I prefer communicating with male support. I will be in touch with the owner of this website about your demeanor. This is supposed to be open forum for technical assistance. And to engage in personal attacks is completely uncalled for!

you were never once attacked. Johanna was making a statement about the rules of this board. THE MOST common reason people want to use a proxy is to get around some form of restriction (either a ban on a game server or restrictions on their surfing habits). MOST people don't come out and say that as their reasoning for asking their questions. she didn't say "hey you criminal get the heck out of here" Johanna was simply outlining our site policy IN CASE your intentions violate our TOU

you can disagree with the statement all you like, but using a proxy server doesn't offer much of any security for your computer. the majority of all identity theft that occurs on the internet happens because YOU yourself enter your personal information somewhere on the internet (either at a legitimate site or one that's less than legitimate). there's no proxy in the world that will prevent that from happening to you. MOST infections get on your computer because YOU go to a website or open an email and allow the infection into your computer. it takes WAY too much time and effort for a virus/malware author to port scan the entire internet, or track IPs that visit their sites in order to later go back and try to break into that computer. especially when we're talking about home computers. you're not a big enough target

and to your part about "preferring to deal with male support", i suggest you leave that attitude at the door before you come back here

Edited by dsenette, 03 February 2010 - 10:53 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I absolutely and wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that proxy server is not going to help protecting my privacy and anonymity on-line. THere are other MANY OTHER reason's one would want to protect their privacy.

There is also the point of view that if you do something on-line that you consider to be legal, you wouldn't want to go through somebody else's proxy.
At the end of the day you are still connected to your internet provider. You can go through proxy server after proxy server and you can do this until the cows come home. It's not going to change the fact that you are still using your internet provider. And you can still be traced. The majority of proxy servers I would personally not touch with a barge pole that's suitably large and then some more.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing something on-line and you want to do it through a proxy server, maybe (and I'm not suggesting you are doing anything illegal) you probably shouldn't be doing it.

And for that matter I prefer communicating with male support.

How tragic for you.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing something on-line and you want to do it through a proxy server, maybe (and I'm not suggesting you are doing anything illegal) you probably shouldn't be doing it.

That is exactly why one has to protect their anonymity as much as possible on-line. Because people like you, and I am not suggesting you personally, consider everyone a perp, terrorist, Etc. until proven otherwise. And it drives me to the point of insanity wanting to defend myself. If I want to be private I have my reasons.

How tragic for you.

Ok. Here I jumped the gun, so I take back what I said about my communication preference. One doesn't have to be a woman, to be insensitive or intolerant in their communication.

Moderator/Admin, please delete this topic. I will take it elsewhere.

I just hope that in the future I can come here and ask a question about Firewall or Anti-Virus without being accused of being a criminal of some sort.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Your anonymity is not dependent on which servers you communicate through. The information requests sent from your computer go to a specific IP, and the requested information is sent back to a specific IP - yours. Whether through 10 servers or 50, the endpoints are still the same, and there is no anonimity in that.

The best use for a proxy service is to route around servers that are slow to forward packets or down completely, thus impeding your browsing experience.