Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Router Security

• Please log in to reply

Chaotic1283

Chaotic1283

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My system is currently hooked up to the internet through a LinkSys WRT54G router. My question is: Can the person's computer that the router is wired to view my internet history, downloaded files, or just plain hack into my computer to view information on mine? If so, what can I do to have more or total security from this invasion of privacy?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Quick answer, no they cannot, just as you cannot access their files. You would have to set up a home network for both computers using XP's Home Network Wizard in order to share or access each other's files .

However, there is another aspect of security where wireless internet is concerned, security in relation to the outside world. You need to set up a wireless access password on your router to stop unauthorised use. You can do this in your router's setup page in your web-browser. It will stop someone in range using your wireless connection at your expense or using it to download illegal stuff which would obviously be traceable back to the router in your house.

You will, of course, need to enter the same password in your wireless connection software or it won't be able to connect. The password is not required by anyone who has a wired connection to the router.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 06 February 2010 - 03:50 PM.