Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Deception

Deception

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello this is my first post here.

Recently I had troubles reinstalling various versions of Windows XP (XP assassin pro, Bariski, Windows gaming, tiny windows, xp service pack 2,3 updates etc).

Because I have older computer and what i most care about is performance (without losing too much on visuals - I don't want XP to have the skin of windows 98 or 2000)

I wanted to know which version of WINDOWS (vista, bariski, 7, server, professional..)
is best for older computers.

My computer specs:

Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 5200
RAM 512 DDR1
HDD 300 GB
Motherboard - some MV old motherboard with via chipset.

1. Which anti-virus, spyware removal, tweaking utilities would you recommend me to install after a fresh reinstall of windows?

2. For example my windows is installed on partition C:\ - I format that partition and install new version of Windows. After that, is it possible for viruses that have stayed on other partitions (D:\, E:\ ..) to become active again and cause problems?

3. What is the best anti-virus software that doesn't slow down performance of computer?

4. I was told by some guy that not having you Windows updated is better than keeping it up to date. Is this true? Does updating really hampers the performance and is a doorway to more problems?

5. Would you recommend DeepFreeze and freezing the windows partition?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Deception,

We will not help you install any illegal version of Windows. Per our TOU:

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

The options you've mentioned above are not legal versions of Windows, with the exception of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or 3. We won't help you with that, however, unless you have a legal copy of it. I will tell you that not keeping your Windows up-to-date leaves you more prone to malware and other issues, as the updates are meant to fix any security or other issues with Windows.

If you obtain a legal copy of Windows and would like further help with the rest of your questions, please feel free to open a new topic.