Recently I had troubles reinstalling various versions of Windows XP (XP assassin pro, Bariski, Windows gaming, tiny windows, xp service pack 2,3 updates etc).
Because I have older computer and what i most care about is performance (without losing too much on visuals - I don't want XP to have the skin of windows 98 or 2000)
I wanted to know which version of WINDOWS (vista, bariski, 7, server, professional..)
is best for older computers.
My computer specs:
Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 5200
RAM 512 DDR1
HDD 300 GB
Motherboard - some MV old motherboard with via chipset.
1. Which anti-virus, spyware removal, tweaking utilities would you recommend me to install after a fresh reinstall of windows?
2. For example my windows is installed on partition C:\ - I format that partition and install new version of Windows. After that, is it possible for viruses that have stayed on other partitions (D:\, E:\ ..) to become active again and cause problems?
3. What is the best anti-virus software that doesn't slow down performance of computer?
4. I was told by some guy that not having you Windows updated is better than keeping it up to date. Is this true? Does updating really hampers the performance and is a doorway to more problems?
5. Would you recommend DeepFreeze and freezing the windows partition?
Thanks in advance.