Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"BIOS not installed" message when computer booting up

• Please log in to reply

Kathy P

Kathy P

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
my computer is locking up after a few minutes of turning it on. I noticed, upon booting up, a message on the black screen "BIOS not installed". what does this mean? I had it in to be looked at, they say the mother board is gone, yet they said it was working fine while they had it. I got it home, turned it on and used it for about 5 minutes, then it sudden shut down and went to a blue screen. I re-booted as instructed on the blue screen, clicked in the box to send error report and my browser opened with the following message:

Site URL:
http://wer.microsoft...bf1c2def0f#hera

Blue screen error caused by a device or driver
You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.
The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the blue screen error from recurring. Try them in the order given. If one step does not solve the problem, then move on to the next one.
Steps to solve this problem
Download and install the latest updates and device drivers for your computer
Scan your computer for viruses
Check your hard disk for errors
Steps to work around this problem
Warning
These steps are designed to address a particular problem but might do so by temporarily disabling or removing some functionality on your computer.
Remove any new hardware or software to isolate the cause of the blue screen
Restore your computer to an earlier state

Could someone tell me what is going on??
You may want to know the following:
- Computer is 7 years old (please don't laugh)
- in May the Video card was replaced
- in June the C drive was replaced
- in Nov. the D drive was replaced (this was a mirrored drive with a RAID setup? when replaced,
the RAID setup was eliminated and I was told to save all data to this drive regularly?)

Can this machine be saved?
Thanks,
Kathy

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:)

Ok I'm slightly confused...

You stated

I noticed, upon booting up, a message on the black screen "BIOS not installed"

If this is the case it is not possible for your computer to function...

Which leads me to wonder did you get this message "below" before the one above?

Blue screen error caused by a device or driver
You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.
The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the blue screen error from recurring. Try them in the order given. If one step does not solve the problem, then move on to the next one.
Steps to solve this problem
Download and install the latest updates and device drivers for your computer
Scan your computer for viruses
Check your hard disk for errors
Steps to work around this problem
Warning
These steps are designed to address a particular problem but might do so by temporarily disabling or removing some functionality on your computer.
Remove any new hardware or software to isolate the cause of the blue screen
Restore your computer to an earlier state

let me know if you are still able to boot whether all the way or partially into windows at this time. At minimum I would say there is likely a problem with your motherboard... But lets check.

GOOD LUCK :)

Kathy P

Kathy P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
"BIOS not installed" has been occuring for about a month now. The computer would work for a while but then would lock up.

Yesterday was when I got the blue screen, which was after I had it looked at by the "company" who installed the new drives. I don't know if he tried to reset the BIOS? if so, do you think he did it wrong?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
WOW ok I have never specifically delt with a computer that has had this problem...

I'm going to bring in some a colleague of mine to help...

I believe that you will be needing to upgrade your computer... But I want him to take a look first...

It seems like there is some form of instability in the motherboards bios chip...

But maybe (going out on a limb) it is possible that you need a new battery for the motherboard.

Go to the local drugstore and find a 2032 watch battery it is flat and about the size of a quarter... Maybe that will help...

But I don't know

Good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
What you are looking for is something that says Scsi or Raid Controller Enabled
Once you find it then Disable it. Click F10 to Save and Exit and then you will be prompted to click Y to verify. Once verified the system will continue to boot with the new settings.
A few side notes on this.
How old is the system?
Have you noticed your time and date being wrong lately?
You may have a low CMOS Battery and that could cause this message.
What you are looking for would be on the motherboard and looks like the picture below.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 February 2010 - 11:03 AM.

Kathy P

Kathy P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thanks cbarnard, for taking an intrest in my little problem. I will replace the mother board if you feel that is the problem. Do you think I will be able to find an exact replacement? or can "any" newer type board be used? I will try to find and changing the battery today. I look forward to hearing what your friends think. I do hope to revive this dead dog, but only after all else fails will I quit trying. Up till now she has been a great computer.
Thanks again,
Kathy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I doubt at this point your MOBO is dead. It seems more like the it is one of the two options I gave in my last post.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Kathy P

As I stated before I had never experianced your problem...

That is why I said you may need a new MOBO, but I didn't want you to get a new one if that wasn't the problem. The fact that it has worked off and on for a month shows that it is still functional, But why it maybe the battery going dead and the bios settings are being forgotten...

Rshaffer61 is the collegue I brought in to look at your problem...

Rshaffer is AWESOME :) , and he will be able to help very well. And just like me if he needs help he knows where to look... Follow all advice by Rshaffer and if in the end he says you need a new MOBO then that is what I would do.

Thank you Rshaffer for helping

Good luck

Kathy P

Kathy P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Rshaffer61,

The time and date are on the money. Does this eliminate the battery?

I went in as you instructed to disable the Scsi / Raid however there is nothing in there anywhere refering to those items. I have looked everywhere.

Upon booting the screen indicates to press Alt A to go to a Raid configuration Utility. I looked around in there and found nothing of the items you spoke of.

The computer is on now and I am going to use it for the next ten minutes to see what happens.

To answer your question on age of machine; I had it built in 2003.

Thanks again for all your help. Anymore advice is appreciated.
Kathy

Kathy P

Kathy P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Computer totally unresponsive...locked up again.

Kathy

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It is very odd that you are getting a "bios not installed" error.

I would replace the CMOS battery. They are about $4 US and are easy to do. They do not last forever and could be creating some weird issues.

The main board is the last thing we want to replace at this time. If the computer is 7 years old, we would probably recommend a new computer, BUT we are not going there yet.

Can you also try and get into safe mode? Tap F8 on startup and choose "safe mode".
Safe mode will look real funky and load minimal drivers. Your screen resolution will be off and some desktop icons will be gone.
Do not fret because we are looking to see if the problem is a driver issue.

123runner

Kathy P

Kathy P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi 123runner,

ok, I finally got it to start in Safe Mode, I am looking at the Window XP screen where it give me the option to click on 2 user names: administrator or Kathy

what should I do now?

Kathy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
administrator gives you full access. Just play around and see if you have any problems.
We are trying to eliminate/isolate some things.

Kathy P

Kathy P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey 123runner,

Running in Safe Mode the only icons on the desktop were as follows:

my computer
my docs
internet explorer
adobe reader 9 installer
acrobat
sonic my dvd
webroot anti virus & spyware
winzip
recycle bin
geek squad support

I can open Word Docs, Excel Docs, Powerpoint, PDF files, my pics(jpg)
I can read data files on CDs in my

I can NOT get online: Explorer can't connect
I can NOT open Outlook
I can NOT open/play mp3

What do you think?
Kathy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Safe Mode won't allow you on the internet but if you want you can reboot and go into Safe Mode With Networking.
This will allow you to get on to the internet again while still using the minimal drivers 123Runner mentioned.