Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Planning laptop upgrade.

• Please log in to reply

iron mum

iron mum

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi everyone,
I have a Acer Exstensa 5630ez laptop.
I plan on upgrading it and know I can add more ram and a bigger hard drive my question is can I replace the graphics card.
I would also like to add bluetooth as I have a switch on the front that just tells me no bluetooth device installed and It would be handy.
What do you think?.

Advertisements

lmwamh

lmwamh

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was under the impression that ugprading laptops, usually was not possible, unless a certain model was used.....you'd have to ask others here, but be prepared for a you can't upgrade answer just in case =)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi iron mum,

You can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop. It's pretty much part of the whole motherboard/laptop configuration. (Proprietary) You can however, upgrade the memory and the hard drive. Some have upgraded the processor before, but that is a lot more complicated and pricey I'm sure.

I'm not real sure about the bluetooth. You'd have to get the schematics of your laptops layout and I guess EBAY would be the best place to look for that bluetooth piece that is specific to your laptop. When you talk about a "switch" that makes me think your laptop may be bluetooth capable, but the hardware just isn't installed... not sure.

There are USB bluetooth pieces you can buy for any computer. Like this: http://www.newegg.co...4-046-_-Product

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Double Post

Edited by Ferrari, 03 February 2010 - 12:36 AM.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks guys,
At least I can add more ram and install a larger hard drive, I'll have a look at ebay for bluetooth.
I managed to find out that the laptop caseing was made for several models which is why it has the switch, unfortunatly the only manual I got was a quick guide, not very helpfull.