Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting a 80 pin scsi hd to a 68 pin controller

• Please log in to reply

bobgbk

bobgbk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Compaq Evo SSF D500 P. 4 with 1.7 mhz. I want to install a Compaq 72.8 gb 10k rpm ultra 320 scsi Hdd pn: 232431-003 model no. BD07264546.

Need advise as to whether this hd can be connected to my 68 pin controller (adaptec 29160n) with a lvd single device ribbon cable by using converter adapter.

In another forum, tech response was in part: "I would not, under any circumstances, install a 80 PIN SCA to 68 Pin adapter. They don't work and they will likely kill your drive. Even if you did find one that did work they tend to fit loose and that too will kill your drive. "

Are converter adapters as unreliable as this or is there a particular kind that is known to work reliably?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I have never heard that before. SCSI drives check the connection to determine what speed to use. I have connected 80 pin drives to a 68 pin controller without a problem.

You might want to see if you can get a newer controller since it will be faster what that drive.