Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home - services.exe thrashes my hard drive for 1 hour on startup

• Please log in to reply

BKitten

BKitten

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yesterday I was looking at stuff and things on the internet, and I came across a site which I guess was an attack site of some kind. Within the next 5 minutes I got three or four virus hits with AntiVir. AntiVir deleted the virus, all is well, or so I thought.

Since that time, my hard drive just won't shut up for ages. If I reboot my machine, after about a minute, the hard drive just starts accessing... stuff. For about an hour. Eventually it does finally stop accessing but I don't really want to have to turn on my computer and then go out on a dinner date while my hard drive thrashes itself in useless circles.

I've really tried to help myself as much as possible before coming here, this is a last resort. I'm not a very techy person but I've been googling away and trying to find out things that worked for other people, here's what I got so far:

Looking at Task Manager, it seems that services.exe is the culprit:

Posted Image

It only gets up to 8% of CPU at the most, but it's definitely what's accessing the HD. Using ProcessMonitor seems to show that what's being accessed is not just one file but all sorts of random ones, mainly the acres of cache files in My Documents that annoying MMORPGs like to leave there, but if I delete the files it's accessing, it doesn't help, services.exe just goes and accesses other files in its place.

I definitely don't have a virus. AntiVir gets nothing. MalwareBytes gets nothing. I thought Spybot S&D's stupid TeaTimer thing might be part of the problem so I changed to SuperAntiSpyware, no change. SuperAntiSpyware gets a few tracking cookies from PayPal, nothing else. I deleted those anyway. I tried deactivating System Restore (which I never use anyway) but that didn't help. I also tried Windows Repair using the step by step guide in this forum but the thing doesn't seem to want to give me the option to repair, only to install a fresh new XP and I don't want that because I have things on my hard drive that I'm rather emotionally attached to.

Any advice would be helpful. Try and keep advice simple and easy to grasp because I'm not really very geeky. If you want me to give you log files you're going to have to explain how etc....

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:) :)

Since you stated Antivir had several hits on a virus, and all of these problems have started since then I would be inclined to think that some form of malware has gotten into your computer.

Just because those programs say your are clean, doesn't mean your are clean.

Please follow these instructions below.

Please click --> HERE

That guide will help you remove 70% of your problems... (it is step by step, for the not so "geeky" :) so you should be fine)

Then please click --> HERE

That is the forum for infections. Please post a NEW TOPIC in that forum.

Please remember to copy and paste the requested logs in your reply. Especially the OTListIt log...

Thank you and good luck :)

Edited by cbarnard, 02 February 2010 - 11:01 PM.

BKitten

BKitten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I have done this, and my response is here: ---> http://www.geekstogo...ml#entry1754868

You might be sorry you asked though....