Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu Error

• Please log in to reply

rhart96

rhart96

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My brother put trojan.win32.blackbird on my computer. Since we had multiple others we just stopped using it. I recently removed all the malwhare, spyware and trojans we had on there and ubuntu still wont boot from the disk. It gives me all these errors on the screen. Anything I can do t fix this or is the trojan still there? :)

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
How are you attempting to boot Ubuntu? If you are using grub, you may need to reinstall the boot loader. If you are using another means, that also might be damaged and need to be repaired.

rhart96

rhart96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am running Ubuntu from a purchased live cd. I have used all the things you said to remove malware do you want the errors i am getting as i said i recently removed trojan.win32.blackbird. Could it still be there?

Thanks,
Ryan :)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I did not say anything about removing the virus, so that must have been someone else.

Are you trying to boot Ubuntu from a Live CD? and that is not working?

Is there any error message?

rhart96

rhart96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am booting it from the live cd without changing anything from windows i am not sure of the errors but im getting some.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, it is a bit hard to know what the problem is without the error messages. I am not sure if the Ubuntu Live CD uses the disk for temp. space, it might, so it could indicate a problem with the filesystem.

rhart96

rhart96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have taken pictures from the screen. This happens everytime i try and run ubuntu without changing windows.

Here is the link for the pictures.

http://www.flickr.co...04@N03/?saved=1

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
That is the last thing it does? It looks like it is doing a page fault and having a problem. Typically a page fault uses the disk to write memory pages to. I am not sure what exactly the Live CD uses, but you might want to check the filesystems and the disk on the machine.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there,

Looking at the page fault and panic notices and a most telling "oops" I would say your box don't like Ubuntu. "oops" is the kernel saying it didn't like a driver that was being loaded.

If this is a Windows box and all you want to do is scan it for a virus and malware have a look here.

Several companies put out live cd's that will do the job. They're designed for the most basic boot and scan. I've had occasion to use Kaspersky's with good success.

rhart96

rhart96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
How do you do that? I have never attempted that.

Thanks,
Ryan

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
First you download the *.iso. (114MB)
Second you burn the image to a CD. I assume you have access to another PC that uses Windows. I believe IMGBurn will do the job but since I don't use window for anything other than extra income I have no idea how it would be used for *.iso burning. I think it is loaded in the shell menu (right click on the.iso and I think there is an option to burn or open with IMGBurn after you install it. BICBW?)
Last boot the CD just like you tried with Ubuntu and you should get the option to boot. Hit enter and it will load the scanner. Scan C:\ and let the disk do it's job.

rhart96

rhart96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
silverbeard, I'm running it now is there anyhing i need to post for you?

Thanks,
Ryan

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Just to let us know If the problem is fixed.

rhart96

rhart96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ran it and tried ubuntu again but im still not having any luck. Anything else I can try?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
What are you trying to do? Are you wanting to load a new OS? If so why are you even bothering with Windows virus and malware?

Why Ubuntu? It's one the worst Distros out there in my opinion. If your a masochist and want to try getting Ubuntu to run on your machine try other boot options(usually F3 will give them to you). You could try to boot with "no apci" or use a failsafe boot.

Why not try a different Distro? SimplyMepis is a very nice user friendly stable distro.