Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my new system help

• Please log in to reply

shtassfu

shtassfu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi i am new to this site but i have read many threads and you all seem very helpful. this is the new system that i am getting ready to purchase but it has been a while since my last build and i just wanted to know if this system would be uptodate and reliable. thought or comments are all welcome.. i am open to suggestions with this build so let me know if something is better or not.

mother board - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
processor - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
video card - ASUS ENGTS250 DK/DI/1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
memory - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel
Hard drive - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
disk drive - PLEXTOR Black blu ray Combo SATA Model PX-B320SA LightScribe
windows 7 and kasperski virus scan

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi shtassfu, welcome to Geekstogo!

That system you listed is very up to date, the i7/X58 technology is very fast and currently the fastest processor/chipset combo out there.

Everything looks good except the RAM you selected is not for the i7 setup. This setup generally uses triple channel memory, you selected dual channel. Here is a list on Newegg of all the triple channel memory 1600mhz... HERE Your board takes DDR3 1333 and 1066 as well, but I recommend the faster 1600. Please Note: For any OS to recognize more than 3.5gb of RAM, you must install a 64bit OS... i.e. Windows 7 64bit.

Also, Nvidia graphics cards go in this order from worst to best (generally speaking)

Geforce 8XXX series
Geforce 9XXX series
Geforce 9XXX+ series
Geforce GTS 200 Series
And the latest GTX 200 Series... 260, 285, 295, etc. In each series, the higher the number, the better.

If ATI Radeon was something you'd like to look at...

Radeon 4XXX series (higher the number the better)
Radeon 5XXX series (just released a month or two ago)

You want to look for a higher core clock, memory clock, and bit size on any of the graphics cards.

Also, you did not list a power supply. It is always recommended you pick a PSU that is 80 plus certified, and one that has enough watts/amps on the +12v rail to power the system and especially the graphics card. Remember to make sure the PSU has the correct PCI-E connectors if the card requires dedicated power from the PSU. Brands of PSU's I recommend are Corsair(best), Antec, SeaSonic, and OCZ.

Other than all that, you got a quite nice system you are getting together, good job :) Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by Ferrari, 04 February 2010 - 07:10 PM.