Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new system build help

• Please log in to reply

hellaman

hellaman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all new to building computers and was looking for some feedback on hardware compatibility and also any other better alternatives

Here is my idea, feel free to add!

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Chassis Case
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 / 2.66GHz / 8MB Cache / LGA1366
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE Intel Mainboard - 6x DDR3 / 6x Sata Raid / Gigabit Lan / LGA 1366
Memory: Corsair DDR3 8GB PC-10600/1333 (4x XMS3 2GB) CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 Ram
PSU: Antec Signature Series 850W ATX Power Supply
GPU: geforce gts 250 (currently own) was thinking of getting a seccond Sli
Heatsink: Xigmatek CPU Cooler Thors Hammer
Hard Drives: (currently own 300gig)

Thank you

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi hellaman, Welcome to Geekstogo!

Everything looks good but the RAM. It looks like you picked a dual channel setup, and the i7/X58 generally uses triple channel. You want to look at the DDR3 1600 sets like 2gb x 3, or maybe 1gb x 3 or 4gb x 3. The board you using has 6 memory slots, so if your look for something around 8gigs, then I would buy a 2gb x 3 set and a 1gb x 3 set which would equal 9gigs. The RAM you selected might work by putting 3 in the 1 triple channel memory slots and run 1 of them in the second triple channel 1st slot, but the triple channel sets are usually labeled as "works with the i7/X58 series of cpu's and motherboards".

I really like Xigmatek CPU coolers by the way (you'll need the socket 1366 one). Also, remember, for Windows to recognize more than 3.5gigs of RAM, you need a 64bit OS, i.e. Windows 7 64bit.

Other than that, everything looks quite nice. :)