Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some instructions on how to back things up

• Please log in to reply

AmyR2

AmyR2

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Everyone,
How is everyone doing? I'm hoping I can get some help on backing certain things up. Some things I can figure out how, but some seem to be harder to figure out what I'm suppose to click on and in what order and all.
One of the things I'm trying to backup is all my quizzes I have created for my Funtrivia account.
Here is what the screen looks like. I took a picture so you can see what I'm looking at. As you can see, this is the area I go in to create all my quizzes.
But don't know what I would click on to back them up. I don't see anything that says backup. Now, if I click on File at the top of the browser there is stuff such as Save Page as, Save Frame As, Import, so many other things.
Also, if I right click on each quiz, there is Save Link As. Which I sort of noticed that seems to work back when I was trying to get all my websites from Geocities backedup before they left, but due to my health and all, I can't be doing that because of pain and stuff and my arms locking up after a bit too.

Thanks,
Amy

Attached Thumbnails

• funtriviaquizzes.JPG

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
With web pages your best bet is to save web pages as 'Favourites' or 'Bookmarks' (they are exactly the same thing, just depends what web-browser you use). Then keep a back up of your 'Favourites' list (this appears as a list in Internet Explorer).

You make a backup of your Favourites list by clicking on
File > Import and Export > Next > Export Favourites.
Save the back-up file anywhere other than your Windows partition.

Then, should you have to re-install Windows, you can open Internet Explorer, click on
File > Import and Export > Next > Import Favourites

Navigate to where you saved the backup file and Internet Explorer will restore your Favourites list.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 03 February 2010 - 04:35 PM.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
That would be a problem because of with some sites, after I'm logged in, another window comes up and I lose half the screen. So, there is no way to bookmark the site because the bar that has file, edit, view, history, bookmarks, tools, help- is gone and don't know what to do or how to get it back.

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
hiya,

Ctrl + D

for the win!

G

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi,
How are you doing?
First, I would like to thank everyone very much for all the help with this.

Here is what happened when I tried ctrl D. It seemed to just save the login screen.
Here is what it saved The Login Screen

I also took a couple of pictures in case the above link doesn't show you the thing I had. Also, one of the pictures I am including is a picture of my page that I'm trying to backup.
I'm sure glad I figured out what that Print Screen SysRq button does. This is something I sort of just learned more about recently. It comes in handy so others can see more what you are seeing on your end.

Thank you very much,
Amy

Attached Thumbnails

• loginscreen.JPG
  • mywebkinz.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What browser are you using?
If Internet explorer....Try this.
Go to file...Save as...then click on HTML complete.

See if that works for you.

I tried the same thing using Firefox (save page as) but it opened in IE without any pictures. This might be a issue with my laptop I am using though because it is default IE (its a company laptop).

123runner

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

What browser are you using?
If Internet explorer....Try this.
Go to file...Save as...then click on HTML complete.
123runner

Thank you so much for all this help.

This is half the problem I'm having with things. How do I do this when I do not have anything that says 'File' to click on.
This happens no matter what browser I am using.
I've tried it in both Internet Explorer and Mozilla.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
AmyR2

I had to go to webkinz.com to see what you were seeing. At the log in screen, the File, edit, view, etc is visable.
When I took the tour (you are correct), another window popped up and there is no file, edit, view, etc.

I assume you are trying to save them as clickable links that you can go back to. I am not sure how to do that without any commands available.

What I can offer is the following from their help file....

If you are wondering how to do something, odds are that there is information in your Webkinz Guide or in the help file for the room you are in. You can find the Webkinz Guide in your room, as well as in the “THINGS TO DO” menu. The help file can be accessed by clicking on the yellow help button in the lower right hand corner of whatever part of the site you are in. If you are still stuck, you can click on the Customer Support link to your left and search for your issue. When you’re logged into Webkinz World and you have a question, can click on the “Contact Us” link in the newspaper index.

123runner

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi,
Thank you very much for all the help with this.
I have actually tried writing to them, and one of the problems is the same as most every other place out there, they have things setup to where they just send an automatic form letter to everyone. So, most of the questions are already listed in the drop down menu/list. Then if it's not listed there, some places give you a place to say my question isn't listed. Then it allows you to type some things out.
Anyways, the answers they send out, is obvious its some form generated letter too.
Not sure if I understand your question on if I'm trying to save them as clickable links that I can go back to.
I'm trying to back things up so that if I get hacked, then I don't lose all the stuff on my site, my emails, files, everything are all in my accounts.
We keep having problems with both mine and mom's computers over all the years and still now getting hacked, spyware, viruses, etc..
So, have lost so many websites, emails, everything due to not knowing how to back it all up.
The instructions we find don't seem to work exactly right all the time. Some of the reasons is because of the instructions say to do certain things, like click on certain things that we don't have on our end as you can see from when you went into Webkinz thing.
Like here is one thing we found on backing up the address book, but it says locate the mail backup folder you created. So, are we suppose to create a folder before doing these steps. So, then they are assuming you know to do this even though it doesn't exactly say to create a folder in the steps?
Here is what I'm talking about:
1. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
3. Click Browse.
4. Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
5. In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
6. Click Next.
7. Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
8. Click OK and then click Close.
Oh and that is the other thing. If we have the browser open, when we click on File, import is there, but export is not there.

Some people keep making it sound like we need things that we don't need to for backing things up. Geocities just closed and was trying to figure out what all to do. Someone said we need a large external hard drive. Which wasn't true because a friend of mine from Georgia who is a computer programmer backed my sites up for me and sent them to me on a cd, but also sent them in email too.

I also found out about 'Geeks to Go' from my brother-in-law who knows alot on computers and has been helping me and my mom on ours with things whenever over and gets a chance and all. He put all the spyware, ad-aware, malware, detection programs on our computers. We of course also have AVG, ccleaner, atf cleaner, so many things we have.
Now, he knows how to back things up, but he doesn't design websites. So, we would assume it is done differently?

Thanks,
Amy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
AmyR2

The Webkinz site is not your website. You did not design it or create it. I understand that you can save games and play on the site, but I do not know (have not found in my searching) a way to back up "your" individual area.

I believe you are also asking about backing up other files and data from your hard drive in your computer (including your address book).
If you are looking to backup data, pictures, documents, etc, you would back them up to another hard drive or burn them to CD's. You save your backups in a spot where they will not get harmed or erased or destroyed. That is why they are backups.
The easiest is to use a external USB hard drive. It would be in an enclosure that you just plug in.
You could use a program like Syncback Free that you can tell it what, when, and where to back up.

As for the address book/ emails, that is usually an export function from the file drop down within the email program. If the address book gets destroyed, then you go back into your email program and use the import function. You browse to where you saved the backup file (in the folder you created for backup/export) and import your saved backup.

See some answers below

Like here is one thing we found on backing up the address book, but it says locate the mail backup folder you created. So, are we suppose to create a folder before doing these steps. Yes, it is easier to create the folder ahead of time So, then they are assuming you know to do this even though it doesn't exactly say to create a folder in the steps?
Here is what I'm talking about:
1. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
3. Click Browse.
4. Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created. You created this already. It is in a backup location that is generally not on the main hard drive.
5. In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
6. Click Next.
7. Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
8. Click OK and then click Close.

123runner

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

The Webkinz site is not your website. You did not design it or create it. I understand that you can save games and play on the site, but I do not know (have not found in my searching) a way to back up "your" individual area.

123runner

This is the exact problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to explain to people what I'm trying to explain. The reason is because I'm not sure exactly what the url is to give people to view sites I have created.
That is why you are thinking what you are saying, because that is the place we go to login to the account that has our emails, and so many other things that everything has.
This is why I have made pictures of the pages I have created so that you can see that it is my site.
Here are some more pictures to show you what I am looking at and hopefully will help you to see that this is my site. I created it. As you can see one of the pictures I've got for you to see, it says my stuff, etc.. and it also has the picture of the mailbox at the bottom too. That is where we click to get our emails that are on the site. But I do not know what else to do after that.
As you can also see, there is the part that shows how much money I have in the account too. And one of them I got for you to see is the area that shows where we go to change preferences and stuff for the account. Plus one of them as you can see it says Muffins Page, and has other things too you can click on to Customize the page, Design, Edit, so many options as you can see.
That is why it says Muffins Page and shows my pet. That is the banner, the layout and all I chose for my site.

Attached Thumbnails

• mystuff.JPG
  • mypage.JPG
  • mypage2.JPG
  • mypage3.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
AmyR2

I do not believe that there is any way to back up the "site" that is yours on Webkinz.
When you are at the log in page you have a file, view, edit, etc. When at that page you can save a link or a book mark.
After you log in, you get another pop up window and all of the file, edit, view, etc goes away. When that happens there is no way for you to save anything.
You are creating your site, but as a interactive site from the main Webkinz site. Everything you create belongs to Webkinz. It is stored on their server and not your hard drive. They are (should be)backing it up on a regular basis. If the Webkinz site crashes they will restore it from a backup. Depending on when they back up and how much information you add to your part of the site will depend on how much you lose. Usually it is very little if any.

What you can back up is the personal data and emails and pictures, etc that are stored on your computer. That I explained in a previous post.
If you computer gets a virus or crashes you could lose what is stored there. You will not lose Webkinz because that is stored/saved on their server.

123runner

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
This is what you are not understanding.
That is too my website and emails on Webkinz. They did not create it.
Whenever you build a website, you have to login to the webhosting company.
I know this, because of all the websites I have created over the years.
Some free, some not. Geocities just shut down, but before they shut down, you have to make sure all your stuff is backed up. You had to go to www.geocities.com and login in order to change anything on the site. Add pictures, whatever.
So, Webkinz is the same thing. You have to go to www.webkinz.com and login. Can't go to some other place and login.
Webkinz is not a free site. It also has my emails in the account.
So, same as Geocities, Angelfire, or any other place you go, that part you go to and login is of course created by them, but the rest is not. Also, before my health got worse and computer issues which caused me to have to stop doing it, I was helping my brother-in-law with his site 'www.astresurfacing.com' but the same thing, we can't figure out how to back the stuff up. We go to the place we got the site from and login to work on it. There is a file manager. But can't seem to figure out what to do about backing things up. How to do this. They say we need to backup the stuff. Same situation, don't have the options they say to do in the instructions.
The other big problem I keep having that is making some think sites are not mine is trying to locate where exactly in the computer the URL is located.
All I know is where we go to login and work on the sites, which also has the place to click and get your emails, and other stuff.

And did you not notice the one I put of my site I created, with the banner and all. They did not create that. I did, and I put it there. I chose the template and everything else. I put the words, the text all there. That is why I also included a picture of what it looks like in the area that I do my preferences for the account. My privacy/security settings.

Other people who use the site have figured out how to back their stuff up.
I have not figured this out due to the problems I keep running into trying to do so.
They also say there is a way to figure out what server your account is on, and I haven't figured that out either. They said that it's easier to tell what server you are in using Mozilla. It's harder in Internet Explorer is what they said. But they didn't tell how/where to look.

Here is another picture I am including of my emails so you can see what I am talking about. I've got an address book in my account too. I also have the address book too. Also, here is another picture too of where I have some stories I have written as you can see. Do you see that there is an edit button there. Same as most all software out there, you have edit button so you can edit your site. Do you see the other tabs/bar I have across the top- Home, My page, More About Me, My stuff, My creations. Those are the areas I of course go to edit/add things to the different sections of my site.
I'm sorry if you don't believe me or something. This is very upsetting for me as you can see, because I can't figure it out. I have lost so many websites, emails and all over the years due to people hacking into my accounts. This stress is not good for my health at all.
One of the things I use for my emails is hotmail. I have to go to www.hotmail.com and login. Then I have my address book. Our ISP is Bellsouth, which is actually now AT&T, but they haven't made us change what is after the @ in the email address. Here is where I have to go and login Bellsouth/AT&Tand then I can check my emails, work on my site there.
My address book is in there. Similar situation as Webkinz, although yeah there is a File menu for parts of it, but if I click on File, there is no Export. Import is there, but no Export.

Attached Thumbnails

• myemail.JPG
  • addressbook.JPG

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
A few more pictures for you to see.
You said I can't save anything. No, not exactly. Here is what I'm talking about where the options for saving things, editing, etc.. are showing up on the screen.
Do you see how I have buttons such as Design, Edit, Customize. Home, My Page, More About Me, My Stuff, My Creations. If it was their stuff, it wouldn't say my or more about me. Which those are the areas we go to type stuff out. They did not type it. I did, and then I hit save to save it on my website.
I also have a picture that you can see that says Adobe Flash Player Settings.
As you can see, it asks how much information can webkinz.com store on your computer.
Why would it be asking this question if the files are not being stored somewhere on my computer?

Attached Thumbnails

• savebuttons.JPG
  • morebuttons.JPG
  • storingpicture.JPG

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
First, I would like to let you all know that due to learning disabilities and other handicaps, makes it very difficult for me to figure out how to explain things to others. Even though I'm really good with alot of things, I have problems with vocabulary words/definitions, reading comprehension problems too.
Most of the times things I add in my post is stuff I found other places that help to explain what I'm trying to explain, but having difficulties figuring out what all to write and stuff.
Anyways, I found some stuff that hopefully should help explain what I'm trying to explain.
Hope this should also help you all understand that this stuff is our account and we are responsible for the stuff.
Not them, as you can see below between the quotes is what they have said to us:

"If you notice that items or KinzCash is missing from your account, please change the password right away. The only way items and KinzCash go missing is if someone else is using your account. We suggest that all users keep their passwords a secret. To change the password, please go to the Webkinz World home page and click ‘Log In.’ Enter your current username and password and then click on CHANGE PASSWORD – you will be prompted to enter your old password and a new password. Please make sure your new password is a combination of letters and numbers, and is something that others cannot guess easily.
KEEP THIS PASSWORD A SECRET. Also, please note that you are responsible for all activity on your account. Webkinz will not be responsible for lost KinzCash, lost Items, lost pets or damage of any kind due to actions on your account initiated by you or by anyone else who may have access to your account, whether intended or not."

The only reason the stuff is in our accounts that are there, is the stuff we buy with our credit cards. Here is one of the areas we buy things from- The Ganz Estore
So, then that is why all that stuff then belongs to us as I'm trying to explain.
The account as you can see from one of the above posts as you can see is the emails for the account. I'm also already having some problems with my account on the site saying it's missing a required file. So, with that being the case, may already have to redo things in the account, but would need to of course back the stuff up that is there- my emails, address book/friends/contact list, etc..

Due to all the spyware, viruses, etc. that we keep having problems with, I keep losing things in so many accounts of mine over the years. As it says everywhere you go to online to change your passwords regularly, and stuff like that. Well, if the hacker has changed your password already and the rest of the information they changed too, then when I try to get my accounts back, the information required has been changed too.
I do not want to lose anymore than I already have lost as you can see. The cash, and all the other items are in our accounts because we bought them from the store with a credit card. That is why we have the stuff in our account in the first place.

Thanks,
Amy