Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I be safe?

• Please log in to reply

thebeebster

thebeebster

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I am running Windows XP SP2, and I am using the following programs to keep it clean and safe:
AVG Free
SpyBot S&D
Adaware
CCleaner
Windows defender may also be running in the background.

I'm only using a Celeron 2.4ghz with a gig of RAM so i don't want to make my computer really safe but too slow ya know.

Should this be good or should I cut down, or use other programs(lighter or more reliable maybe).

Thanks

Advertisements

Down With Malware!

Down With Malware!

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
All those sound great, but I would switch out Spybot S&D with something like Spyware Blaster or Superantispyware. I have been reading a lot that Spybot S&D is out dated and may not keep you as safe as these other ones. I use AVG free, COMODO as my firewall and not my anti-virus since two will only find each other and provide less protection if you just have one, I also use Spyware Blaster with Spyware guard. You look pretty safe to me, I am no expert though and as long as you are safe about where you go and do some scans once in a while you should be fine. =)

Like I said I am no expert but you seem fine to me.

Edited by Down With Malware!, 03 February 2010 - 10:28 PM.

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Safe starts with you. Read up on how to prevent yourself from infecting your computer, such as not reading unsolicited emails, not opening attachments that you were not expecting in emails, downloading software from recognized websites, getting rid of such applications as limewire, etc. Prevention starts with you.

thebeebster

thebeebster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've noticed SpywareBlaster doesn't have an icon in the system tray or appear to have a process running at all. If its better than Spybot and doesn't take up as much Memory I'm in, lol.

I'm pretty good with what sites I go to but I can't live without Limewire.

Does Windows Defender run in the background somewhere?

So now I'm using SpywareBlaster, AdAware, and AVG. I hope I never have to re-install Windows again :):)

Edited by thebeebster, 03 February 2010 - 10:44 PM.

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Spyware Blaster isn't an active application. what it does, is modifies your host file so that: if you follow a link that is a known threat in their database, it will return the request back to your own computer (localhost). updates are about weekly, so every once a week, you should open the program and perform an update, then go back to the main page and click the link at the bottom to "Enable All Protection" . The updates just add more known websites to your host files

Edited by Jayman01, 03 February 2010 - 10:48 PM.

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
if you're living with limewire, your living with an axe at your neck. See you soon in the malware section!

thebeebster

thebeebster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Haha I just use it for songs so I should be alright, right? lol

So I should probably run an active spyware blocker at the same time to stop the actual installation of spyware? Or is Adaware good enough?
I'm not too sure what the differences are and every site tells me to run different programs.
Just wanna be safe without slowing this piece of crap down too much.

P.S. I usually just copy the files I want to another hard drive and then reinstall Windows rather than fix it when it gets slow or infected. Is Norton Ghost good for that?

Edited by thebeebster, 03 February 2010 - 11:02 PM.

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Nope, you won't be alright. Malware changes constantly. there isn't one malware protection program out there that is 100% safe. From personal experience, i know that songs in limewire are targeted with malware. what often happens, is that when you try to play the song you've downloaded, it'll say you don't have the codecs necessary, and download "them" for you. which ends up being malware. or in limewire, it says it has a ".mp3" extension, but it really has some other extension, being a malicious program.

Down With Malware!

Down With Malware!

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Even with all that protection Limeware is just asking for it. Anyone can put anything in those files if they seem legit or not; I had a family member who used limeware for almost everything, I cannot tell you how many times we had to reformat the computer. Limeware is bad news, new malware can pop in at any second in there and its not a matter of if you will catch something from Limeware, its a matter of when.

Edited by Down With Malware!, 03 February 2010 - 11:46 PM.

thebeebster

thebeebster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That sucks a lot. So I've decided to go with AVG, AdAware and Spyblaster with SpywareGuard. I am also just using the windows firewall. Taking Spybot and Windows Defender off completely.

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by thebeebster, 04 February 2010 - 12:41 AM.