Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply

Chortdakooba

Chortdakooba

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, I have tried searching for solutions to my problem, but to no avail.
The problem is my DVD burner/drive freezes my computer after inserting discs.

Basically, it works when I'm using only 1 disc, for example burning a CD or DVD or just reading from one disc. But the problem begins when I use multiple discs or disc swapping. For example, I'm trying to load the game Rise of Legends and it has 4 discs. I am able to insert disc 1 and the drive will read it and begin the install. But when it asks for disc 2, I put it in, wait a few seconds for it to read, click okay, then it seems to run for a bit and then just locks up the computer. No mouse, no CTRL-ALT-Delete, nothing - completely freezes the computer. I have to power off the computer and restart again.

Here is what I have done. I replaced the drive with a new one. My old drive was and IDE- LG. The new drive is a SATA by Liteon. I have run virus scanner, reg cure etc and no problems found.

Here is my system:
Box: HP Pavillion
OS: XP - pro (It came with Vista but I switched back to XP)
CPU: Intel core 2 - 6300 @ 1.86GHz
RAM: 2 gb
Bios: Phoenix Award Bios V6.00PG
Display: Nvidia GeForce 7300GS (512mb)
Sound: realtek audio (on board)
DVD burner: Liteon (Atapi iHAS124)

I also noticed in my system information I have a lot of removeable drives for some reason ie: e, f, g, and h. I'm not sure if that's normal. I also have a drive I (CD-rom disc) which probably shows up because of Daemon Tools, although DT is not running in the background.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit and welcome to GtoG,

It may not be the DVD drive but the media. The 1st thing I'd check is the condition of the data surface of the DVD/CD media that you're trying to install from. Even fingerprints can prevent a program from installing properly. To clean the surface, just use water and a smooth cloth to wipe it clean. If you see lots of scratches, well, it may not be a fixable problem... (I'm saying this because you say that single disks appear to work fine which indicates that the drive itself is sound) :)

Good luck..

Chortdakooba

Chortdakooba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I finally got all the discs to work last night and installed the game. I ended up installing an updated graphics driver and disabled my screen saver. All 4 discs worked without a hitch. I also let the ROM read them a little longer before I kit the Okay button. I really don't know if doing these things fixed the problem, I may have just got lucky this time. I don't think the discs were the problem, I had cleaned them fingerprints before I tried.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Good to hear that you were able to get the game in properly. It was probably being a bit patient and letting the disc load before clicking on "OK", the video driver would not stop an install operation...
:)