Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I originally purchased a hub powered by the laptop. That did not work well and it was suggested that I needed a AC powered hub in order to use my external drive. I plugged the new hub into the laptop (Macally Tri HUB 4 Port) and then plugged my external drive into that. I get this message USB Device not recognized; One of the USB devices attached to the computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it". Should I assume this is a faulty product or is there something in Windows that I can do to fix the problem?

Whalley World

Whalley World

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Always check the basics first: make sure the hub is also plugged into the wall - you'd be amazed at how many people forget that one step. Laptops don't have the kind of power output that desktops do, which is why the powered hub was suggested. Next thing you want to do is determine whether it's the hub or the external drive that's really giving you the problem. Try plugging the external drive into another computer - preferably a desktop for testing purposes. Do the same with the hub, and plug a known working USB device into the hub. That will tell you if the hub itself is working. A hub is similar in principle to an extension cord - that's the simplest way I can explain it!

If, after both tests, you've determined that both devices work, reconnect them to your laptop, reboot, then go to device manager (start > control panel > performance and maintenance > System > then click the hardware tab, and click Device Manager button). If Windows still doesn't recognize the devices, right-click on the device with the question mark, select Uninstall, then under the Action menu, click on Scan for Hardware Changes. Follow the Wizard from there. Reply here if the Wizard doesn't take care of it.