Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW HDD INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

samman

samman

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I installed a new HDD and my computer will not boot. The DVD ROM is working and I can hear the HDD running smoothly. I reset the CMOS and removed and re-inserted the battery. Any help is greatly appreciated. My computer is an HP D220MT (socket 478) and the unit is a Western Digital Caviar Blue 80 GB Internal hard drive - 7200 rpm.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you re-installed your operating system?

Murray

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi Murry. The computer won't boot so I am unable to install the operating system.

Edited by samman, 03 February 2010 - 10:01 PM.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Have you set your boot order so that the DVD boots first and enables you to install the OS?

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I cannot set the boot order as the computer will not boot. The jumper on the HDD is was installed with factory settings, the HDD is set as "master" and there are no other drives installed.

Edited by samman, 03 February 2010 - 10:14 PM.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
The boot order is a bios setting, which is available before boot. You enter the setup screen by entering <del>, F2, F10, or F12 (depending on the bios) before the machine starts looking for a boot disk. There is usually a message on the screen while the machine is checking its PCI and USB busses that lets you know which key to press to enter setup. If the machine doesn't even get that far, perhaps the IDE cable is plugged in upside down (seriously... sometimes they aren't keyed), or perhaps one of the other cables was loosened during hard disk installation. Something very basic has to be wrong to prevent access to the bios setup screen.

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
is the screen plugged in? go through all the connections one by one, for the "box", and screen. many professionals get stumped by something as basic as that. is the right IDE cable plugged in? check the motherboard side, usually its written. did you ground yourself b4 touching anything inside the box? could have seriously ruined components that way.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The monitor's green light stays on briefly than in reverts to orange. I just checked all the connections and the IDE cable and everything seems to be plugged in and I can hear the HDD running. Also, I did ground myself before touching any of the components. I know there is no problem with the monitor as I am currently using it.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Regarding the IDE ribbon cable, the blue end is connected to the primary IDE on the motherboard, and the black end is connected the the HDD. Can't seem to figure out what I am missing.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Darned if I can figure it out either, but you might try replacing the original HD to be sure the problem is the drive itself. At least that would localize the problem.

Advertisements

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The HDD is set as "master" on one ribbon cable and the DVD ROM is set as "master" on another ribbon cable. Tested the DVD ROM and it's working. Trying to give as much information as I can so we can figure this thing out.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The old hard drive is damaged but I can at least try and see if the computer boots up.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Was that the configuration with the original HDD (A more conventional setup would be to put them on the same cable in a master/slave configuration)?

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I believe it was the original configuration. Would that make a difference?

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
At this point, I'm lost. I'll try to reinstall the old HDD; I guess that's a start. By the way, I really appreciate everyone's help.