Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW HDD INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I made a mistake. The jumper was at factory settings which is cable select NOT master. I did not touch the jumper prior to installation.

Advertisements

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
actually. i want to inform you that i have a pentium 2 sitting on my floor right beside me. It used to boot, now it does the same as yours. the screen will show a green light 2 seconds then go off. no beeps from the machine. the little green light on the computer itself will go on, then stop. yet i hear everything working as normal. no bios screen, no nothing, just the steady humming. I was wishing to find a solution at the same time i was looking up your problem. seriously, did you remove any other component at the same time you were changing your hard drive? also, you are using a computer right now. could you try putting your original hard drive in series with the current one, to see if it works? put it as slave, if possible. or is it physically impossible?

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm exhausted and off to bed. Best of luck and I hope to find out in the morning that I was all wrong and that it was a jumper setting all along :) .

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I did not remove any other components when I was changed the hard drive. This Dell is VERY old and the hard drive might reach beyond the maximum capacity but I can give it a shot. It will take me quite a bit of time so I can check back tomorrow with the results. I'll check periodically to see if you have offered further instructions.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for everything Chip! :) I appreciate your hanging in there with me! I think I'll turn in to and start fresh tomorrow!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Going to step in for a second here again.. are you getting anything at all on the monitor when you boot up?

Murray

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
No nothing. I'm worried its the processor that sits below the heatsink and if that's the case, I wouldn't know where to find a socket 478 processor as the computer is 5 years old.

Edited by samman, 05 February 2010 - 08:44 AM.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I see that HP has several sections on troubleshooting in their service reference guide available as a pdf here: http://bizsupport2.a...2/c00066142.pdf . In particular, appendix D has step-by-step instructions for narrowing down problems. Appendix C has the POST error messages, but in the D200 series, they appear as screen messages. We're clutching at straws now, but I hope this helps anyway.

Just an afterthought: The beeping when you removed the RAM is encouraging in that it is described in the manual as the system's response to bad or incorrectly installed memory. That means that there are some sign of life in the CPU and Mobo :) .

Edited by Chipzzz, 05 February 2010 - 10:48 AM.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey thanks for the links! So the beeps indicate that the CPU isn't fried? What about the fact that the computer doesn't beep at start up. I believe you suggested that is a sign that the CPU might be dead. Hey, maybe there's hope after all.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I've got my fingers crossed & will be interested to know the results of following the procedures outlined in the manual. Good luck.

Advertisements

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks. I'm about to start procedures now.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I'm a little confused by the following: Change system board jumper on JP2 to
pins 2-3 (Unlock), then flash the system BIOS. Reset the jumper to pins 1-2
(Lock).
Never attempted this task so I need a bit of help. Actually I need an illustration, step-by-step instructions or something. I don't want to screw this up!

Edited by samman, 05 February 2010 - 07:00 PM.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Did you get an error message on the screen that said, "Checking NVRAM...Update Failed"? If not, don't worry about it.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I'm still at a point where the computer won't boot so I can't update BIOS. The monitor power button is green for a few seconds and then turns orange. At this point, I'm looking for instructions for how to move the jumper to pins 2-3.

Edited by samman, 05 February 2010 - 07:30 PM.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
If I remember the symptoms correctly, you will find the instructions you need in appendix D. The ones you are looking at in appendix C apply to systems showing POST error messages on the screen when they start.