Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW HDD INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
You are correct but I am not understanding the procedure. Change system board jumper on JP2 to pins 2-3 (Unlock), then flash the system BIOS. Reset the jumper to pins 1-2
(Lock)

Edited by samman, 05 February 2010 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Referring to the picture on page 6-22, I see several headers in the nearest corner of the board, one of which is likely marked JP2. Bear in mind that your machine is a D220 and the manual is for a D200, since the correct manual was unavailable from the HP website. There may be slight differences between the two machines but the general procedures should be the same. In order to flash the memory, you will need to download the code from hp and put it on a floppy from which you can boot. Page 3-2 describes this process in some detail.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
You may be on to something with the bios issue. The hard drive that I installed is is larger in capacity than the one I removed (from 40GB to 80GB)so maybe a bios flash is required.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
If you format NTFS (preferred) it will make no difference or if you partition 2 40G drives in FAT32 it will again make no difference.

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Will read the manual and follow the process. My concern is if the computer won't boot, will I be able to access the floppy.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I think it's a more serious hardware problem so my best guess would be no but I've got my fingers crossed anyway :) .

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
What type of problem do you suspect? The motherboard, psu,hard drive, and heatsink fan are all running. You may be right but what am I missing?

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Although there isn't enough information to pick one at this point, the easiest to test is the psu (with a voltmeter). I would eliminate that and if it is good, look for a deal on a CPU/Mobo set from Tigerdirect, GearXS, or somewhere. I see a couple of Athlon 64x2 5000 Mobos with the CPU for $100 at Tigerdirect. Something like that would put a little spring in the old D200's step, huh?

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yeah it would. I'm determined to tackle the bios procedure before in the towel. I think I'll tackle the project in the morning. Sure with I could find a nice s478 processor somewhere.

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
GearXS has a 1.8 Ghz Celeron for $33, but if it turns out to be the mobo, you'd be stuck.

Advertisements

samman

samman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
True. The mobo looks good and beeps as it's suppose to when items are removed from it. But at this point who knows! I found the system board jumper for JP2 on the HP D220MT Parts Illustration Map. That's a start!

BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Wow. Looking at this thread reminds me that I need to add an avatar. Too many replies that all look like they are from the same person at first glance. :)

Chipzzz

Chipzzz

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Wow. Looking at this thread reminds me that I need to add an avatar. Too many replies that all look like they are from the same person at first glance. :)

That's good advice, thanks Matt. I'll have to do that myself :)