Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bandwidth in apartment complex

• Please log in to reply

Nilla

Nilla

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello,

I live in an apartment complex. As part of the rent, the landlord provides a DSL connection. They wouldn't want to give us anything too expensive, so we all share the dsl connection. For several months now I am rarely able to use the internet. When I try to load a page, my browser just sits there spinning trying to load. Apparently the problem is that many people have plugged in wireless routers and they are all draining the bandwidth. The landlord is aware of the issue. To solve the problem, they have taped up signs on the complex's main doors that instruct everyone to unplug their wireless routers. Shockingly this solution hasn't worked and no one is unplugging their wireless routers. I'm sure this isn't possible but its worth a shot - is there a way that I can set up my router (which is not wireless - I follow the rules) to allocate more bandwidth to itself?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is an issue you'll have to take up with the landlord.
The alternative is to get your own broadband connection into your own apartment, which may require a new line being installed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I'm sure this isn't possible but its worth a shot - is there a way that I can set up my router (which is not wireless - I follow the rules) to allocate more bandwidth to itself?

to answer that directly, no...routers don't increase bandwidth, they distribute it (technically) all a router does is allow multiple devices to connect to one physical connection (with regards to your question at least, in reality they do a lot more than that)