Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Inconsistent Internet

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am seeking a solution to stably connect two desktops, without overload or IP conflicts. Currently, with 2 desktops simultaneously connected to a Belkin f5d9230-4, I experience constant lag, reboots and general slowness that can be compared to surfing the web on a mobile phone.

This has occurred with a Linksys wrk54g and I have reformatted both computers, so I don't think the desktops are the problem. I have AT&T, DSL Elite, and when I directly connect one computer to the modem, it works fine.

• Router's firmware is up to date
  • Both computers can easily surf if (individually)directly connected
  • Possible problem: Router may not have been properly configured
  • Both desktops are running XP SP 3

With that in mind, it would be wonderful if someone could help me correctly set up the router so I can accomplish the main objective of having a stable, dual connection.

Edited by 2212, 04 February 2010 - 06:07 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How fast is your internet connection?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Average is 4707 down 199 up (average from 4 at http://www.dslreport...edtest?flash=1)
That's with both computers connected to one router

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A 4 meg connection should have no issues sharing on a router. Since you've wiped the machines the next thing I'd suggest would be an issue with the router.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks but....

I am seeking a solution to stably connect two desktops, without overload or IP conflicts. Currently, with 2 desktops simultaneously connected to a Belkin f5d9230-4, I experience constant lag, reboots and general slowness that can be compared to surfing the web on a mobile phone.

This has occurred with a Linksys wrk54g and I have reformatted both computers, so I don't think the desktops are the problem. I have AT&T, DSL Elite, and when I directly connect one computer to the modem, it works fine.

* Router's firmware is up to date
* Both computers can easily surf if (individually)directly connected
* Possible problem: Router may not have been properly configured
* Both desktops are running XP SP 3

With that in mind, it would be wonderful if someone could help me correctly set up the router so I can accomplish the main objective of having a stable, dual connection.

Edited by 2212, 06 February 2010 - 08:47 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It seems as if there are little to no solutions to this problem.
Internet sharing setup has not been helpful, for it had instructions to connect one computer to another...

Could anyone point to where I may find alternatives in configuring two desktops to share one internet connection, by router or switch?

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
I am not familiar with the belkin router, but let me ask, does it have DHCP turned on, and are your 2 computers set to automatically recieve their IP addresses from the router?
Does the ISP require a log-in and if so, is the router supplying these credentials? Also, if ISP does require a log-in, is there a setting in the router to keep the connection alive for a specified amount of time?
One more thing I can think of, is your setup like this, ISP dsl modem > router >PC's, the ISP modem is not also a router, is it? Maybe if you post some info on the modem (make and model), others that have the same unit can offer some help.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Make and model:
Belkin f5d9230-4
set up is wall>isp given modem>cat5>Belkin>wires (2)>computers

Hmm, it says DHCP servers enabbled, i have tried to decrease the range of the ip pool address (origin 2-100)and it seems to make some difference...
the "lease time" is forever

at first, i turned off DHCP and assigned the 2 computers their own ips but everytime i wanted to directly connect to the modem (comp>modem>wall) for a stable connection, i had to manually set the TCP/IP properties to automatic (start>network connections>local Are.. Prop>last one)

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
You do want DHCP enabled in the router, and computers to get their IP from the router, so that seems ok.
What model is that modem? I would like to know this to tell that the modem is not on the same subset as your router.

I really want to make sure you don't have a combo modem/router. I see that AT&T does offer a combo unit in some cases.

I am not familiar with ATT DSL, did they give you PPPOE software to use, and set you up with a user id and password?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
First of all, I would like to thank you greatly for taking an interest in my situation...

The modem seems to be a "SpeedStream 4100"

I don't think they gave me any information or software regarding routers, nor a specific name/ip to use when using a router.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
Thank you for the model number, I found the docs for that unit and as I suspected, the SpeedStream 4100 does act as a router. Give me a little while with that document and I will try to get you up and running. I am snowed in today, so you have my attention for a while until I have to start shoveling.

You are welcome, I like to fix stuff, it keeps the grey matter in good shape.

I will post back in a little while.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
Ok, I believe that you need to set the speedstream to "bridge" mode so that it does not act as a router any more and you can use your Belkin f5d9230-4 as the router, so that you have wireless, and can hook up more than 1 pc.

I see that you are trying to hook up two desktops, and you may not require wireless, but since you bought a wireless router, I assume you want to keep it. If you DON'T require wireless you can take your Belkin back to the store and purchase a switch instead of a router. If that is the route you want to take, you can just cable the SpeedStream out into the input jack on the switch, and then plug your desktops into the switch. Make sure your desktops are receiving their IP address automatically. You should probably open a command window (dos box) and type "IPCONFIG /RELEASE" without the quotes, and "IPCONFIG /RENEW" also without the quotes. That should be all you need to do.

But, if you want to keep your Belkin and its wireless capabilites, you will need to set the SpeedStream in "Bridge Mode"

First of all I want you to keep these reset instructions handy, in case something goes awry with the SpeedStream you will have to do a hard reset on it. DON'T do this now, but just keep it around in case.

reset instructions:
To reset the Router:
1. Using the tip of a ballpoint pen or unfolded paperclip, press and hold the Reset button located on the bottom of the router. The pwr LED will blink red once, indicating that the reset has begun.
2. Continue depressing the Reset button for four seconds or until the pwr LED begins to blink alternating red-to-green.
3. Release the Reset button.
To cancel the reset:
Continue depressing the Reset button for longer than 10 seconds. The pwr LED will return to green, and the action will be cancelled.

Before we dig in further, you are probably going to need your user id and password that go with your DSL service.
ATT probably supplied you with that at some point. I am not familiar with their service, so can't help you there, but you need to have this info before you continue. I also see that there might be a yellow sticker under the modem, and you may need a code from that as well.

I would like you to call ATT support at this point and ask them about setting your SpeedStream into bridge mode. That's going to be your best bet. I see some docs for this unit out there, but these may not apply to your SpeedStream, as I read that ATT restricts their version of this product.

You will need to hook one computer directly to the modem in order to set it in bridge mode. ATT probably won't help you with your router, but they should help you get the SpeedStream into bridge mode.
If by some chance ATT is not helpful you can try these instructions:
open browser window - type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. Go to advanced tab, then PPP location. there should be an option for bridge mode in there, if so select it. It may ask for the code on the yellow sticker.

Now you can unhook your computer from the modem and put the router back in the line. Cable the Out port from the SpeedStream into the WAN port on the router. Run cable from the LAN port on the router to your computer. Probably a good idea at this point to do another ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew .

You should be online at this point, so let me know if any of this worked. I am going to start digging myself out of the snow, but I will check back in a little while.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you so much for those instructions :)

I have managed to replace my Belkin f5d9230-4 with a new Linksys WRV54G, through a friend, and it currently works wonders...

Now im too scared to mess with the routers setting, for i might destroy what is working.

Although i didnt really solve as to why the previous two routers would lag me so much, i thank you greatly for your assistance.