Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I load OS to new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

selfmadegeek

selfmadegeek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

Just installed a second internal hard drive to my husbands computer. I have it ready to go, but need to load the XP media center os to it. The idea is to completely replace the old hard drive because it is making odd noises and is probably getting ready to die. So I am readying the new hard drive for the transfer of files. I think I have an idea of what I need to do but am unwilling to go there without a little help from my new friends. I also decided since I was getting him a new hard drive that I upgraded it to a 500GB from his 80GB.

I have the os discs from the original computer purchase, found the key for the new install, and again I have formatted and made available the new hard drive. MS named it drive D, which is fine with me, and I can see it in the "my computer" window. How do I make drive D the first in line so that I can start the os loading process? :)

Advertisements

nick999

nick999

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi, put only the new hard drive in that you want fresh os on, start pc, press del to enter setup, look for boot order menu, make sure cd/dvd drive is b4 hard drive save and reboot with the windows disk in, it will auto load setup for install :)

selfmadegeek

selfmadegeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Why don't you clone the old drive to the new drive?
Doing so, you would not have to reinstall all programs and data, UNLESS you want a clean install.

I use Easeus ToDo Backup.
It works great and is free.

123runner

selfmadegeek

selfmadegeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:) nick999 and 123runner Thank you so much for your help. The new hard drive is now loaded with the xp os and doing well. I will think on the easeus program and whether I want to load everything that is currently on the old drive or not. You folks are AWESOME! :)