Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't turn on, please help

• Please log in to reply

sfalon

sfalon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Compaq Presario, model S4300CL. When ever I press the power button to turn it on, I can hear everything, like the fans, starting up as usual, but about five seconds into the start up, everything just stops and this constant tone just starts coming out from the computer. No matter what I try, I can't get the tone to stop or the computer to turn on.

The problem started a few days ago when I plugged my mini ipod into the front USB port. I plugged the cable, already connected to the ipod, into the port, and my computer immediately crashed. I removed the plug from the port, pressed the power button, and the computer turned on again with no noticeable problem.

A few days later I plugged a USB cable into the front port again and the same thing happened; the computer immediately shut down on its own. When I tried to turn it on again, though, this time it just stopped a few seconds into start up and just persisted with the constant tone.

I already tried calling the support line, but they couldn't help. Is the problem obvious? Is it something like a broken fan or a burnt drive?

I would appreciate any sort of help or suggestion. Thanks.

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
ok, heres what i think happened. The usb connectors (inside the case) got loose or were connected wrong or something and when a powered on device was plugged in, the usb mb connection was grounded or shocked and automatically shut off. i woulg suggest (if you are comfertable with goin in, open the side of the case (ground yourself) and unplug the group of wires comming from the front panel to a bunch of pins on the bottom right hand side of the mb. make sure they dont say POWER_SW or RESET or PWR on them.

Nixx

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You could also try moving the ram to a different slot that constant beep could mean the system can't find any usable memory.

I would not use the front usb ports again and if there is any device connected to the rear usb ports remove them for now.

Rick

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
also, memmory can BURN! so if alot of beeping takes place...then you smell burning...most likely the wrong memory has been put in. (how do i know this? experience).

Nixx